Author Topic: A Monster in My Pond...  (Read 1384 times)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A Monster in My Pond...
« on: March 22, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »
That's what I thought when I tryed to pull this Varigated Water grass out yesterday . It was huge...  ..
I had to get my youngest son (20) to help me pull the monster out . It took both of us to move it . I had decited to plant it in the ground. Had to get it out of the pond before it took over . The stupid thing already took over 2 of my water lilies.... >:(- 
A friend gave it to me a few years ago , it was a very small piece then.... ;D  I never thought it would get this big ....Dang !

I'm finally getting the pond clean in the g.house . Put the pump in 2 day's ago & now it's all clear again...just gotta get the plants all arranged.
bonnie

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A Monster in My Pond...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 09:00:11 PM »
hey bunnie!  Arent you the one that sent me huge piece of varigated grass also.. I know it was a bunnie from ohio and some very nice land plants.  Mine is that huge to I like to never got it out of the pond.  If you are the bonnie that sent me the plants, I loved the red and white coleus type p lant you sent me but dont remember the name. I would love to get some of the seeds to grow for this year.

Tinkster

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 04:08:54 AM »
OMG, that is a monster.  Reminds me of my mini cattails.  I've done everything to that plant and it still survives.  I even left it out of the pond for a whole winter with no water and it still made it.  I've cut it up, gave it away and it comes back twice as strong.  I have it in a giant pot to keep it contained as much as I can.  Its going to get a major cut back this year.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 05:31:58 AM »
Wow, lots of roots there.  Kim, I will cut my cattails below the water surface to keep them under control on the top.  Last year I tried to move some but the root system was huge so I just kept cutting it away.  Wish it was in a pot.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 05:57:30 PM »
hey bunnie!  Arent you the one that sent me huge piece of varigated grass also.. I know it was a bunnie from ohio and some very nice land plants.  Mine is that huge to I like to never got it out of the pond.  If you are the bonnie that sent me the plants, I loved the red and white coleus type p lant you sent me but dont remember the name. I would love to get some of the seeds to grow for this year.

Tinkster

Hey Tinkster ,
Yup, I'm the one . Had some fun getting your's out too huh.... ::)
I didn't save any of those seed's , sorry .  I don't remember the name either. :(
Did I send u any of the Elephant Head Amurthus (sp) ? It get's really big & has a beautiful red ( kinda like a cox comb) flower on it.
bonnie

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
Re: A Monster in My Pond... Tinkster is this what you sent me?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 07:33:35 AM »
Tinkster, just sent me  some Grasses and I think she may have sent me the monsters cousin...  Did you tinkster? :)
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »
LOL!  We learn as we go don't we?  I've had several surpises develop in my pond over the years.  It's just not right when a plant only takes one person to plant inside your pond and yet it takes two people to pull out :P
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
LOL!  We learn as we go don't we?  I've had several surpises develop in my pond over the years.  It's just not right when a plant only takes one person to plant inside your pond and yet it takes two people to pull out :P

That is sooo true Mikey !  ;D It took a BIG hole too..... :o...I think I dug halfway to china... lol

El Jefe ,
If Tinkster did send U a peice of it ....well all I can say is you've been warned..... o(
bonnie

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 06:29:26 PM »
lol no I did not send you that particular monsters cousin..... in fact what I sent you is land grasses the will thrive in complete drought.. they will not survive with wet feeties or ankles and in fact will not winter over at all if they get much moisture.. I hope you didnt htink they were pond grasses, I thought you wanted grasses that grew outside of the pond to decorate with :(  .. I have mine planted at the sides of my waterfall on a slope which is desert drought conditions  and yes they become monsters there.. :)

Bunnie.. no you did not send me the cockscomb like plants.. it sure sounds pretty.. I have been looking for what I call the old fashioned cockscomb.. the ones they sell now develope these tiny small dark red heads.. mine use to have heads bigger than dinner plants.. they were stunning but I have been unable to locate any of those seeds in forever :(

tinkster

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 07:03:57 PM »
tinkster,
Burpee's has the old fashioned cockscomb seeds's, that's where I get mine.. They have a large red comb & they get about 3' tall.
bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"