Author Topic: The Dreaded Long And Sorted History, With Pics  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Derrick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The Dreaded Long And Sorted History, With Pics
« on: February 16, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »
In the begining there was me, a hot summer day, some yard work to do, and far to many happy pops (aka googlie pops, sun pops, happy hops...and beer). The DW had gone away for the day, and I was determined to get some yard work done. We had built a large piece on the house a couple of years ago and there were still a few places that needed the landscaping fixed up. So on this eventful bright summer Saturday morning I bravely tackled the job.

After polishing off a few of the smaller tasks, and more than a few pops, I came to the dreaded front hill. The lawn had been all torn up, there was a large hump in it, and it was very rocky. So after considering the job from every angle, I grabbed my trusty shovel and got to work. Somewhere in the first hour, however, the inspiration struck me that I (for some strange reason because I haddn't been thinking about it at all) wanted a pond, and since I was already digging here, I would put the pond here.

Now, I would later realise (like the next day) that this was probably the worst spot on my property to put a pond, but once that first shovel full was dug, what's a man to do but carry on?

So the day progressed, as did my growing hole. I really had no plan as to shape, size, how to run a pond, or basically anything else. I was following my inspiration! Running the fields with my muse! I had a shovel, lots of pops, the sun and no wife to watch me. I was happy, life was good.

So eventually I had my hole dug, or as much as I was going to dig. I wanted some rocks around it, so I decided to .....remove...them from an existing flower bed. I didn't really need the rocks at this time, since I had no liner or anything else, but I wanted them anyway. So I tore apart a flower bed and lugged over a bunch of rocks...

...and then I lugged over some more rocks because I started fearing all my dirt may wash away that I had basically built my hill up with! This ended up changing a lot from this photo, but it shows the amount of rock one drunken man can carry in a day when there is no one around with common sense to stop him...

So that was basically day one of my pond! Upon the DW's return she simply asked me what I was doing, shook her head, and went in the house. Of course by this time it was FAR too late to ever admit I had made a mistake! If I was less stuborn I am sure I would have filled it back in the following day, and actually put some thought and planning into it before tackling it again. But perhaps I never would have gotten around to starting another one and would have missed all this fun!

So I eventually order my pump, liner, and a bunch or stuff off ebay and got all that installed.

I had the fountain/pump propped up on a rack kind of thing in the deep end when I took this picture, but that changed. I didn't like it so I moved it to the shallower end and tossed the rack.

I eventually got a few plants, but it was late in the season for them to do much, and a few fish, a couple of which are still alive!  {:-P;; ...So this year will be planting, adding a few more fish, and some landscaping all around the pond. Still a ton of work to do on it. Oh, and planning my next pond of course! I have some great idea's!!! If only the DW would go away for a week!

So if you need a bump in your lawn moved, just give me a call!!! hahaha  ;D

edited by Sean to show photo's in post
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 11:12:05 AM by Sean »
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The Dreaded Long And Sorted History, With Pics
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
Congrats on your new pond and welcome to the addiction!!!

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »
Derrick,

Very nice, and I loved how you told the story.  Sometimes wierd things happen when you have too many pops!!! LOL...

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:15:34 AM »
rofl rofl!  You are to funny.... I can just imagine your day as you told it.   Think the pond looks great and welcome to the hobby.

tinkster

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »
I'm with Tink,  lol lol lol  What an eventful day  lol lol lol .  Like the others said, welcome to the addiction.  You did alot of work in one day, but the question is:  How did you feel the next day, not talkings about the happy pops, just from digging and moving all those rocks.... lol lol lol

A thought, have you ever thought of having your water come down that hill.  You would have to line it, but seeing that cascade down that hill into your pond....hmmmm.

Be sure to check out the plant section of the forum when it warms up, you can get some great plants there when everyone devides for the season.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Derrick

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:57:51 AM »
hahaha, thanks guys.
Next day my back (and head) were a bit sore, but no permanant damage! ;D

I have to decide if I want to run some water down to it as suggested, to build a bigger pond below it connected by a falls, or to simply finish this one up, build the one I actually want in my back yard, and use this one more for flowers (since it gets full sun most of the day and my backyard one wouldn't) and as a sort of quarentine pond for new comers.

I am kind of leaning towards the last option, since if I had been thinking straight (or at all) that isn't were I would have put it at all in the first place....damn summer pops! lol
Derrick....just a drummer in a rock and roll band.

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:27:31 AM »
What a difference a day makes   o(:-)  Nice job!

Offline Goodkarma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/04/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:17:14 PM »
I enjoyed the story- you have a way with words.  :)  DH and I have learned that there is never time to do it right.  Yet surprisingly always enough time to do it over. lol Your did a great job first time around.  The pond is very pretty.

Lisa

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 06:37:34 AM »
Great job!
Have two advil, and we will toast in your general direction!
 @O@

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »
Nice work, looks like a rocky dig!  Yeah to Advil O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"