Author Topic: What do/did you do for a living?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What do/did you do for a living?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »
Jonna, John and Debra Everitt live in Paamul, John is the divemaster there. He was a flight nurse/paramedic for Lifeflight Air Rescue helicopter service and got my butt out of a pinch more than once on a dark highway when I had a critical patient 40 miles from nowhere.

His wife Debra was an ER nurse and they are great people. I have stayed the week at Casa Willys and fed the Green Morays of that reef. The food at Paamul is great, you can sit on a swing at the bar and drink Margaritas as long as you can hang on and if you fall off, they just help you back up.

Have you ever been to Charlie's Cantina in Tulum? Beautiful place. I love Mexico.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 07:44:43 PM »
What a wonderful thread!  I am an administrative assistant for a 3 church Episcopal Cluster in West Central Ohio.  Am a mother of 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters.  My husband and I farm --a family farm raising corn, soybeans, wheat and beef cattle.  It's a good life.  I was raised as a "firehouse brat" and when my dad passed away I thought I would join our volunteer fire associates to aid the City Fire Dept.  I then became a level 1A firefighter and also ride with the Medics as an assist.  I would like to get my EMT-B certification in the next few months.  If I had known how much I loved this volunteer job about 20 years ago, it would have become my profession and would give our "all male" Fire Division a run for their money lol   This department requires a paramedic level certification and a 240 fire card, not something I want to do at the age of 53!! :o

I have rescued every cat that's ever come to my door, and living on a farm, that's considerable!  I will add pics later.  Also racoons from the barns, opossums, bats, birds, snakes, frogs -- basically anything that lives  o(:-)  Oh, dogs too in fact someone dropped off a litter of 15--we kept 2 and found wonderful homes for the rest! 

This is the best site ever, I consider these people to be my family and can't wait to find out what's been happening with them at the end of a long day.  Welcome home! :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 10:40:26 PM »
Yes a good thread indeed!  I made my wife read yours Kitty.  it sounds like Norman Rockwell could paint your life, farm and family O0 o(:-)

I grew up in South Philly, yes, the mean streets that "Rocky" jogged through. It really was a tough place and i had more than my share of fights.  No, i didn't like it, but i was a big boy and hurt a few guys so bad that I was left alone.  Some of the names I was called were new to me, I didn't even know what the meant.  {nono} My Mother, an RN, reunited with my supposed 'dead" father when I was 20. 
 I was working as a lifeguard in New Hampshire, a resort called  "The Balsams"  The job ended and I went to Calif and lived with my parents while I went to Los Angeles trade Technical College.  I learned sign painting, a trade i eventually taught part-time for 22 years for the Los Angeles City Schools.
Met my wife at the Farmers Market, yes the famous one.  She was going to UCLA. Her aunt and uncle were appalled that she brought me home!   She was forbidden to go out with me.  Funny too, because if they had not interfered I might not have taken it as a challenge!
OK, to the point.  I painted signs and fished, developed a fishing lure, sold it all over the state  as well as other fishing products, things like Mustad hooks.  I eventually bought a building that I still have, and started a tackle business.  My timing was good.  We thrived. I put all my  money into California real estate.  This was 1970, need I say more?
If her Aunt & Uncle or my parents were alive they would drop dead at my success.
This could go on interminably.  I can add to it later.  Good night all. o(:-)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:32:48 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 04:56:24 AM »
Thanks Jerry!  I didn't realize that you had such an interesting and colorful life--of course I should have guessed at that given your outgoing and humorous personality!   O0 

And I really do consider these folks as family, I'm on here now when I should be getting ready to head out the door to the office, but this is much more fun!  I try and check the site at work too,,,have even shown my boss (the priest) many beautiful garden pics!  I never realized there were so many people who loved all animals as I always have, makes me feel like I belong  :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 10:14:24 AM »
Jerry, I just Googled your kayak website and it is truly awesome. I'm going to post a link on our kayak site so everyone can enjoy the information on it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:36:34 AM by Bullfrog »

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
Well, for the past 8 or 9 years I have Volunteered at a Bingo Hall.  Really its work, but were not allowed to call it work because we don't draw a paycheck.  But do you really think I do it for free, nope.  We get what waitresses and waiters get when you pay the bill.  Yeah, tips.  Tips only, but were not suppose to get those.  Were not even allowed to say tips in the hall, its donations.  There are signs posted tipping is prohibited but donations are greatly appreciated.   SSShhhh don't tell on me.  Its all on the up and up at the hall I'm at, and the charities make good...so what does it really hurt that we get our tips, we bust our butts. 

I use to work at an insurance office, up until I had my twin boys 3 months early they're 14 now.  I tried to go back 6 weeks after I had them, but it just didn't work.  See, I was the insurance carrier and I didn't know how things would work out.  Work gave me a temp disability check for awhile, and finally I just quit.  They were to sickly at the time, so I just quit.  One of my boys was in the hospital on and off until he was 3, the other flew.  We struggled for several years, but that's alright because that's what got them to where they are today.  Then we had my daughter 5 years later.  Then I started doing the bingo thing.  It worked out well, because I'm gone during the night and home in the day and he's gone in the day and home at night.  I'm down to just doing this on Fri and Sat nights.

I've been trying for a couple full time jobs, but will my work history being so old its tough.  We can't even put bingo down as a reference although I deal with the public, 300 plus at a time.  I take the money for the packs (money transactions) sell tabs (another money transaction) then I can also do the payouts when people bingo.  I answer the telephone, make decisions...I have to set up the packs and make sure I get the right ones out so there aren't duplicates etc, but its not work....its volunteer.   lol lol lol

Its not a glamorus job (oops I did it again, called it work), but I enjoy it and it helps out.  So, I'll hang onto it for as long as I can or until regulations get tighter.  I probably shouldn't be saying any of this...oh well.   lol

Kim
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 06:21:25 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline nartas

• Members
  • With us since: 13/12/2022
    YearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2024, 11:34:37 AM »
Cryptocurrencies, on the other hand, have shown a low correlation with traditional asset classes, which means they can potentially reduce overall portfolio risk. learn more

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"