Author Topic: finally, a fundraiser I like  (Read 1664 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
finally, a fundraiser I like
« on: April 03, 2007, 07:43:42 AM »
My son's school decided to have a plant sale this year for the fundraiser. He's a senior this year and the school decided rather than give the seniors a prize for selling they will create an account at the college they plan to attend next fall. So 10% of the total sales amount of each senior will go to their own account. Was someone creative or what??!! This is a fundraiser I can get in to. They even have corkscrew grass.  :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Re: finally, a fundraiser I like
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:07:35 AM »
Very cool! Are the plants they're selling from a local nursery or is it one of those mail order fundraisers? If it's mail order, you should give us some info so we can support him too! :)
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 08:15:22 AM »
It's through a midwest nursery. I mailed to ask if they ship. I hadn't thought about that. We have friends out of town who would probably buy if this company will ship. Thanks for the idea Jessica!!!
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:22:20 PM »
Hay Cath that is a great idea. Be sure and let us know.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »
The elementary school that the girls used to go to had a plant fundraiser every fall and every spring.  They found a local grower who would give them a great deal on plants - not a huge variety, but enough to make it interesting - and they sold them to the parents directly.  They sold gallon sized perrenials for about $7 to $9. They also sold bedding plants (lantanna, pansies, coleus, etc) for less than the nurseries were selling them for . . . . the school made a chunk of change, the growers made a bit of money and the parents got a terrific deal.  I got painted ferns, trandescantia, salvia and many other lovelies far cheaper than I would have gotten them for elsewhere and helped pay for the gardens at the girls' school while I was doing it . . . . a definite win, win, win situation . . .

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:07:33 PM »
I mailed the gal in charge and she's going to check with the company tomorrow.
I figure since I buy plants anyway it makes sense to buy what I can from the school. My son benefits from anything I buy. I always buy from friend's kids when they're having a fundraiser because I know schools need to earn money each year but the stuff they sell is usually nothing I care about or normally even want. I'm really liking the plant idea. :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 09:27:48 PM »
That is a good ideal. I will not do those gift wrap or mag. ones, those are just rip offs.

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »
I like the plant fundraisers, too.  My grandson's school was selling bulbs last fall, so I ordered three types of tulips (5 bulbs in each set).  I put them in last fall and now have 15 tulips blooming in front of my house.  @O@

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 07:39:39 PM »
Bummer!! They said they're working on that idea (ability to ship plants) for next year but didn't get it worked out in time for this year's sale. Next year won't help my son. But thanks for the idea, Jessica, it was worth checking in to.
I ordered some things, of course. They have corkscrew grass so I ordered some of those for the pond area, plus many other plants.  You can't have too many plants, right?? :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 07:30:18 AM »
Thanks for checking for us, at least we tried!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 09:24:29 AM »
Yes and I appreciate it!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
Cath, I think it will be a very successful fundraiser.

As for the wrapping paper, we did Sally Foster in Florida and I actually liked it quite a bit. Some others may not be worthwhile though.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »
That is a wonderful idea.  Some of the stuff they want the kids to sell, I don't even want myself.  So why would someone else want any of it.  Candles aren't bad, candy bars are good.  Although my kids have never sold them.

But the plant idea sounds great.  I hope you all raise a lot of money.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline froggerLee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 07:05:30 PM »
Now that is a worthwhile fundraiser. Sure beats those puke if I take another bite of those frozen pizzas!
Lee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"