Author Topic: AT LAST, my barn swallows returned!  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
AT LAST, my barn swallows returned!
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:21:36 PM »
They have arrived this past week and I've been trying to get some pics of them sitting on the wires in the barnlot as they "talk" to each other.  But they won't sit still long enough for me to get a shot off, (tried the zoom but stil too far away)!  I love them! :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: AT LAST, my barn swallows returned!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »
Do they nest on/in your out buildings? I always loved watching them build their mud nests and was in awe of how the nests stuck to the sides of the buildings.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 04:48:03 AM »
You are so lucky to have them, we don't have them at our house.

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:09:07 AM »
I remember seeing them in my grandmothers barn. They are amazing. The only time I see them now are when they are feeding. I don't see their nests.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »
Yes, they nest in the barns just behind the house, and one year built a next at the top of the pillar on the front porch.  I loved that!  I could go outside and put my hand on top of the nest and out would pop 5 "muppet babies"!  They looked just like the muppets with long, skinny necks with large wide mouths and two strips of fuzz on either side of their heads.  The parents must have trusted us, they didn't seem to mind much. 

The most fun is when I'm mowing, they come out in full force dipping and diving in front of my mower catching insects in the air that I stir up.  It's sheer JOY to watch these birds fly!  They almost look like they are turning like fighter jets, upside down and on their sides and never slow down and then zoom straight up to the sky.  They move so fast, it's hard to get pics, but I'll try  ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:33 PM »
They are really beautiful sleek birds and they really are fast. I think they nest under some of our bridges. I see them feeding around there. Good luck in getting pics of them. I would love to see yours.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"