Author Topic: Skunk Cabbage  (Read 1026 times)

Offline whis4ey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Fujiyama Japanese Garden
Skunk Cabbage
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:01:58 AM »
Looks absolutely beautiful this year
Does this stuff really smell?  I have never noticed.  Then ...  we don't have any bears  :)

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Skunk Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 04:25:52 AM »
That is really pretty.  We have mass amounts of skunk cabbage in our woods, but they never bloom like that.  They do smell hideous, though!  My teenagers used to go out with big sticks when they were little just to wack them. LOL!  They would make quite a mess, and the smell was dreadful.  A few weeks ago I showed our three old how to "wack" skunk cabbage, and he shrieked with outrage at the resulting smell.

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:23:51 PM »
I traded for some once because I thought it looked so cool in the early spring . . . turned out not to be skunk cabbage at all . . . . and then it died.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
I love skunk cabbage but don't really have a spot big enough to accomdate it properly.  Yours if flowering beautifully.  emm

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:17 AM »
I've been thinking about this, our skunk cabbage really isn't pretty like that at all.  So I looked it up and we have "Eastern skunk cabbage", which doesn't flower like yours.  You aren't on the East coast, are you?  I tell you, if our skunk cabbage were as pretty as yours I would not let my kids beat them with sticks.   ;)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"