Author Topic: Oh the pain of it!  (Read 933 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Oh the pain of it!
« on: April 21, 2007, 09:10:58 PM »
I was looking at my lillies and noticed that the Odorata that I brought from the lake was very full and had LARGE Pads. It was looking very healthy. I waded in to check the pot and what did I find? the Odorata had jumped the pot and imbedded itself in  the muck at the bottom of the pond. There it got large and happy. I spent a good deal of time digging that huge tuber out. once I had all the pieces I had a chance to look at it. Man was it healthy. Killing it off just seemed wrong but I could not risk it taking over the pond eventually. I know what the lake looks like. Did not want the same for my pond.

:-\ :'(

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Oh the pain of it!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 09:16:46 PM »
Good think you did wade in.  I have one that I can see from my deck that has jumped its pot and about to reach the bottom of the pond.  I'll have to get ahold of that one soon.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 04:39:12 AM »
I think that's what I need for a while to fill up this new lily pond, got bigger then I wanted, and now I don't think I will have enough to fill it.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:41:57 AM »
I wonder if it would have damaged the liner if left alone?  It sounds like a plant i would like to own, but well encapsuled.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:20:50 AM »
This is the most common of all water lillies (I am told) and it can take over a pond quickly. It made a mess out of the lake down the road. Not sure it would pierce a liner but given it's growth rate it may if it gets a good foothold and finds a fold to press against. It is a rampant grower and it had a huge healthy tuber pushing up new lillies. I hated to do it, I even thought about leaving it. My next thought is I may plant my other lilies directly into the bottom. it is obviously very fertile in there. What are the odds my other Hardy's will overwhelm my pond?

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 06:05:27 PM »
I once helped a friend clean his pond and he had one that had taken over everything.  It had to be pulled out in one piece and it was 6' across and a solid mass of tubers.  It had eaten at least 7 terra cotta pots that had once held other lilies and plants and its roots were so thick and strong that they had to be cut with a machete.  It took 4 adults to pull that mass out of his tiny, little pond.  What a mess.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"