Author Topic: baby fish question  (Read 2109 times)

Offline stacig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
baby fish question
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:48:03 AM »
all my baby fish died :'(.i was fedding them.question is should there be a little air pump in there could that be why the died.the fish we at it again so ill have more i just want to have these live.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: baby fish question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 10:06:37 AM »
Yes, that could be a reason.  They need some kind of air supply, you can get a little external pump and a airstone to drop in.  They also sell something called a sponge filter, it works really well.

Did you do water changes, what did you feed them???

Kim
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 10:51:56 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 10:10:54 AM »
What kind of fish were they? GF can live in a mud puddel but other fish need more air. How tinny were they? When you put a small pump in with them little ones can get sucked into the pump so you'll need to put a form of guard around it. or use an externial pump with an air stone. Most baby fish don't need extra feedings tell they are fry size, maybe they ate too much? Not much help I know but hopefully someone with more experiance will chime in. Good luck! And I sorry to hear that you lots them :'(
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 10:28:10 AM »
they were gf. they were about a week old .i did do water cahnges and i feed them goldfish flakes. thats what ill do put in a air stone.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »
I don't use flake food till they have a little size on them.  I use frozen baby brime shrimp.

Kim

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 11:16:27 AM »
i feed them that as well

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 11:18:57 AM »
Poor little fishies, I'm so sorry.  I've never had baby goldfish, but I did read somewhere that they don't need food for the first week or more.  Hopefully you'll get some good advice here.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 11:27:11 AM »
In the first week, they have an egg sack that they will absorb.  They kind of hang vertical during that time.  Then you will notice them starting to swim.  That is when I start introducing Baby brime shrimp.  Just a little about 3 times a day.  They will grow quickly. 

Just pretend where the word Wakin is that it says goldfish,

When I had my batch of Wakin's.  I had them in a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter.  I had it filled all the way up.  Its hard to do partials, but it can be done very carefully. 

Then I had a second tank set up for the ones that grew faster than the others.  (Tobies) its the bigger baby that will eat its siblings.  I have a great pic of one I caught in the act. 

What helped me so much was my MIL gave me a tank that was long with dividers, she called it a breeding tank for Betta's.  I don't know about that, but I do know that it helped me keep them separated.  So you may end up with even another tank set up.  On that tank I just ran air stones and kept it partialed.  I did it about once a week.

Food wise, I went and got some frozen baby brine shrimp.  It worked great.  I would take the piece and cut into 4 pieces, put it in a glass with a little tank water and let it dissolve.  (I would do this about 3 times a day.)  Then pour it in.  They grew great on it.  Then later when they got to be about 1/2 inch I started giving them finely crushed flake food, and regular sized frozen shrimp.  The sponge filter also helps feed them, the food gets stuck to it, even though we don't see it but they do.  Its funny looking at all of them huddled over on the sponge.

Good luck with your babies, and I hope I helped a little.  Wait to you see their little tails, its amazing so small and you can already tell they're Wakin's.  You'll be able to spot this at about a quarter of a inch.  Its so cute.

Kimberly

I had this posted under the Goldfish/Wakin section... don't get discouraged.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »
Um I don't do anything and they survive in the pond with the big fish. Wonder who takes care of them there.

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »
should i put the air stone in as soon as theyhatch or when?

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 08:02:27 PM »
An air stone will help keep the eggs from getting fungus.  If you notice any of the eggs getting fuzzy, you should remove those eggs.

Kim

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 09:34:24 PM »
Um I don't do anything and they survive in the pond with the big fish. Wonder who takes care of them there.
Ditto Esther, I still have a gazillion baby GF I need to get out. but I'll give ya 3 guesses and the first two don't count.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 06:38:22 AM »
well do i put it in as soon as they hatch or not.my fish eart all the eggs so i need to take them out

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 05:42:40 PM »
mmmmm.. baby goldfish  :)

Petsmart has a small basket that hangs over the side of your tank with fine mesh to put the babies in as the momma and other fish will eat them. This protects them until they get a little bigger.

An external pump and a small stone should give them all of the air that they need which isn't much. don't add any additives to your tank for clear water or anything like this while they are fry (babies).

Mainly, they just need protection from the bigger fish until they are too big to eat. My daughters plecostamus got so big it was eating all of her guppies.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Just saw this....but, will add my 2 cents.    If you are going to raise baby fish in an aquarium, if you have totally clean, clear water, there is nothing in there for them to eat.   Even pulverized flake food is not very good.   Make sure you are not putting more fish than your container/aquarium can manage.   If the water has a slightly green tint to it, all the better, because the microscopic algae is a food for them too.   Use an airstone or a sponge filter.   Take a boiled egg yolk and stir some into a little water and drop a little in there...but only a little bit because it will easily foul the water.

Put a light at one end of the aquarium...the baby fish will congregate there.   Turn down the air so the water isn't turbulent and knocking them about.   If you hatch baby brine shrimp, they will also be attracted to the light.

An easier way is to take a tub, fill with pond water, put in some plants and some fish eggs, and let it be.   You may not raise a gazillion, but you should raise some.   Be aware that many aquatic insects will eat fry...especially back swimmers.

Offline stacig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »
thats what i did a few weeks ago and they all died.im doing it again

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 07:45:40 PM »
You used the tub method?   Make sure you do not put them in fresh water.   They need very aged, old water. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"