Author Topic: faux rocks  (Read 11525 times)

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: faux rocks
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2007, 06:33:56 PM »
Isn't it great that the neighbor got interested too? especially since he has had experience using the material. Hope the rain will come late tomorrow, if it does come.

I am so looking forward to see the final rock!

Maybe later you can do a DIY faux rock section.   O0   :)
Dave (SE Michigan, zone 6)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: faux rocks.....UPDATE
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »
Can you pick out my practice rock????
Kathy

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »
Kathy, that is very very impressive!   O0

And no, I cannot pick out your practice rock. I was going to guess the white one near the left, but I don't think you would place another real rock over the fake one, so if I have to guess one, I would pick the brown one near the center.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2007, 05:25:13 PM »
It's the big reddish brown one on the right.

Here's the BIG GUY! I may put some more detailing, like veining on him later, but for now it's done. The filter one is next to it. I am pretty pleased with them! We'll see how they hold up to the weather and being moved around. Matt will have to sand the bottom edges as some spots are still rough and kind of sharp.

I'll try to post another shot after this one....
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2007, 05:28:40 PM »
Another view
Kathy

Offline Dave in Michigan

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2007, 05:50:47 PM »
They look great! You did a very nice painting job too. The background in arts shows.

What kind of paints did you use?

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
VERY IMPRESSIVE!  I love it.. I just love rocks :)  almost as much as ponding.

Great work and you sure do things right when you do it

tinkster

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2007, 02:56:00 AM »
Sorry guys! Matt got home from class early so we FINALLY ENJOYED  an evening by the pond!  Sat ont he swing listening to the water and a Frog too! NO pesky mosquitoes yet, it was a rare perfect night in Michigan. Another few days and the skeeters will be chasing me in the house.

Gee Tink! Thanks!! but RIGHT? haha, we'll see! Watch them melt in the sun or something!! Let's not forget the concrete disaster!! I AM going to fix those and keep them where they dont' have to be moved. Matt put them under the pines last night, that may work. THIS TIME I USE CHICKEN WIRE

Dave-
 I took a picture of the paints, I'll try to post it later, I'm on the laptop now.. I used  reddish brown primer, 2 shades of the fake granite pains, one is gray and the other a kind of pinkish beige.  Also a flay black and flat esspresso brown. All spray paints. Here's what I did. Some tips though....most people have trouble with spray paint because they are WAY TO CLOSE to the item and try to cover it in one pass. Then the paint runs. The trick with spray paint is if you think you are back far enough, take one more good step back. Spray to the side of the item and THEN move over the item, keep going off the item before you stop, don't just point and shoot. Keep it fluid so you don't get start and stop "lines". LIGHT COATS! You want colors to show through each other, not be solid blocks of color.

1. PRIME
2. lightly spray areas that are to be shadowed in espresso brown, LIGHT COATS
3. areas to be darker...use flat black over the brown ....LIGHT COATS blend the black and brown together
4. Gray stone paint...cover entire rock in LIGHT COATS, lighter in the areas you wanted to appear in shadow, but you still need it there to blend.
5. pinkish stone paint... cover most or all of rock, heavier in some areas than others, again lighter where you want the shadows.
6. LIGHTLY use espresso brown again in shadowed areas and to blend or make the fake rock paint a little more subtle.'
7. Flat black , same as espresso.
8. FLAT clear sealer spray for outdoor use. Many many light coats.

It's o.k. to go over areas a few times to ge the look you want. The light coats will blend and allow the paints to layer and show through one another. It should almost look powdery on the project....not like paint. It will also dry very quickly this way.

Practice on a cardboard first if you haven't used spray paint much.

Kathy

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2007, 06:54:15 AM »
They look so good!!  You are making me think I want to try this to make a back cover Fake rock for the back of the waterfall! 

As I said in an earlier post, all those rocks piled so close to the sunroom windows make me worry about the grandsons and the rocks. To me it looks like an accident waiting to happen!  I am not talking about them being mean and knocking it over - but maybe a ball flying into it or other accident!! Or stacking them wrong and falling over the wrong way!

And if I use fiberglass it can be removeable so we can get to the plumbing on the back!

I guess first I have to come up with something of a form to put the fiberglass on.  Maybe some chicken wire with some Great Stuff on it?

I just want it to cover the back and part of the sides. Real rock will finish off the front and front sides.

I think this would accually be cheaper than another ton of Rock.
Lori TX

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2007, 10:54:32 AM »
Thanks!
It might work for you! You can use just about anything for a form. Even cardboard. I used bubble wrap,newspapers and a saucer snow sled, then piled on the great stuff. They are defiantely moveable. The part that bugs me is that the edges are sharp. Matt is goign to sand them down. If that doesn't work I can put some kind of faom tubing around the bottom and just cover it with mulch.

WARNING! THE RESIN IS HIGHLY STINKY! MAKE SURE YOU USE IT OUTSIDE AND I WAS HOLLERED AT FOR NOT USING A RESPIRATOR. I used it in the open garage, but it still stinks in there.

Kathy

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2007, 11:25:17 AM »
Those are AWESOME Kathy!  I can't believe how realistic those are.... Great job!  And it's always so rewarding to know that you did it yourself! :)
Joey

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2007, 03:56:14 AM »
Thanks Joey!
It rained in buckets yesterday..over 3 inches!! I was so afraid for my rocks i covered them with a tarp!  lol
I think they may need more clearcoat.
Is there usch a thing as a matte clearcoat for cars?

I took some step by step pics, so I may put together a DIY for that part of the forum. Should have taken some steps of the painting process. Maybe I can with the extra paint I have left.
Kathy

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2007, 07:43:41 AM »
They look super!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2007, 07:46:36 PM »
Thanks Jerry!
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2007, 12:22:42 PM »
We had a huge storm last night. Hail, high winds, tons of rain....my rocks are none the worse for it and they didnt' blow over either! I was biting my nails till morning!!
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"