Author Topic: More dog and cat food recall....  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
More dog and cat food recall....
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:21:58 PM »
They recalled some more dog food as of today.

http://www.nationalpetfoundation.com/foods/0307dog.html

and cat food....

http://www.nationalpetfoundation.com/foods/0307cat.html

You might have to copy and paste?

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: More dog and cat food recall....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 03:22:12 PM »
This is just absurd and really frightening.  I know that the tainted food has gotten to the human food chain thru animals being fed the bad food, but do we know if any human food manufacturers have purchased any ingredients from the companies who supplied the bad ingredients?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 03:10:25 PM by LeeAnne151 »
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 04:36:59 AM »
OMG, now we've been eating tainted chickens!?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 10:37:26 AM »
Yes

why the heck are they feeding chickens food for carnivores in the first place? I know it is high protein and much of it is really grains not meat but still, ICK

Organic meat costs a lot more but dammit, this just points out how scary the whole food chain is in the USA. I already buy a lot of local produce but do buy off season imported stuff and may stop.

We do have several local organic food stores here but none are close to me. One only sells beef raised in Oregon with no hormones or antibiotics and only feed a vegetarian diet.

Our local fast food chain, Burgerville, buys their beef from them. They won the Food Network Award for best hamburger in the USA.

Anyone who lives on a farm and raises their own food is lucky.

The chemicals those of us who live in the city have been exposed to can't be good. I think the pet food problem is just the tip of the iceberg.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 12:11:36 PM »
why the heck are they feeding chickens food for carnivores in the first place? I know it is high protein and much of it is really grains not meat but still, ICK

They didn't feed the chickens dog food or cat food, the chicken feed was also made with the tainted ingredients.

And there are pigs out there that have been fed food with the same ingredients, some have made it into the human food chain and some have been quarantined so as not to be allowed into the food chain.  But when they slaughter the animals that have eaten the tainted food, there is nothing to stop the slaughtered animals from being used as feed for still more livestock.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 02:05:37 PM »
It was my understanding that the recalled pet food that was pulled from stores was fed to chickens and pigs instead of being destroyed.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 03:58:07 PM »
It was in both pet food and livestock feed according to the FDA:

FDA officials believe the pet food and livestock feed were produced usingcontaminated wheat gluten and rice protein that were sold to a U.S. pet food maker by two Chinese companies. U.S. officials believe the companies added melamine to the grains to boost the protein content–and the price–of the wheat gluten and rice protein.

Now here is something that is REALLY, REALLY scarey . . . . that hasn't been publicized nearly enough:

It's possible that other melamine-spiked vegetable proteins have been used in other products such as pizzas, protein bars, and baby formula, and the FDA is continuing to investigate this possibility. In the meantime, the Center for Science in the Public Interest has called for a total ban on grains from China.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/070501/1health.melamine.htm

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 05:53:49 AM »
That gives me chills.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"