Author Topic: Oh Joooooooyce? Japanese Maple question....  (Read 1554 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Oh Joooooooyce? Japanese Maple question....
« on: May 02, 2007, 02:35:31 AM »
My little crimson queen had started to bud when we got a late winter /early spring freeze for a few days. The buds don't seem to be growing after a couple weeks now. Do you think she is a gonner? Another variety right next to her is leafing out.
Kathy

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Oh Joooooooyce? Japanese Maple question....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:57:03 AM »
Never say die.
Give her time.
 8)

(or...do what I do sometimes:
tell the plant: 'Go ahead and die!
You'll be replaced!')
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:23:27 AM »
Haha! Threats are right up my alley!!  O.k. then, she's gotten a reprieve. Maybe the sunshine this week will force those leaves out. She's under warranty for a little while yet, so if nothing happens they will replace her.

I'm going up today to get a Magnolia "butterflies" for further back inthe yard. Sort of a memorial for the doggy we lost on Sunday. I think the happy yellow flowers will be a nice tribute. I'll have a small area of flowering trees, a weeping yashino cherry, a small crabapple (tina? it's pink can't remember now) and the magnolia. they should flower at slightly different times making the "show" last a little longer.

Still debating that other area where I wanted evergreens. Now the neighbor put his ugly pop up trailer there in the UP position- great. He thinks he's helping block the road because he knows I hate it, but the ugly camper really isn't better. I dont' have the heart to tell him. I bought a big Miscanthus morning light that will block some of it when it matures. My husband has been working on the additonal waterfall over there and it's looking really nice! We had storms last night and the temporary set up withthe liner moved and was forming a tributary and drainign the pond! good thing I didn't sleep in this morning! haha!

Hope you are feeling better!!
Kathy

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:53:28 AM »
Threats work....thats what I did to my Aurora last year....told it I was gonna replant it and fertilize it one more time...if I didn't get any blooms it was a gonner.....the silly think bloomed all summer...2-3 blooms at a time  ;D
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:40:06 PM »
The three of us are going to have to gang up on this maple because I cna't find the receipt!! I have a file folder that I put all my receipts for the garden in right when I get home, but this one is missing! AAAARRRGGGH!! I found receipts for 4 years ago though. :P
Kathy

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 03:20:26 PM »
No receipts? It's a goner for sure...

I tried that with our wisteria—no blooms last year and I'll yank it out, so out it comes bloomin like crazy, of course this year not so much...

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
Rocmon-
It can take afew years for wisteria to bloom. Took mine 3! Last year I got some, hoping for good bloom this year. I've been told to root prune it after flowering to make more blooms for next year.
Kathy

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 06:58:15 PM »
It had been in the ground about five years. I discovered my problem this year. I had gotten the japanese variety instead of chinese. The japanese needs more sun and flowers after leafing out. So now I have to replace it slowly with the chinese variety... I have one that is beautiful—it's been in a pot for about 25 years.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 03:11:47 AM »
Oh I didn't know there were differnt ones like that! Don't knwo what I have, but I think it may be Japanese too. It's called prolific. Bought it because I thought it meant LOTS of flowers. So far I've gotten a few flowers. Last year was the first.
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 03:15:20 AM »
Pruned the tips of the maple last night and I scolded her and told her that if she didn't leaf out that I was gonna have Joyce and Lawanna come over and we'd rip her out roots and all! ;D

We planted Magnolia butterflies in the back of the yard for Shelby last night too. It's a pretty tree. Hope it does well. It's just starting to flower so I'll post pics if I get good blooms this year. It's about 8-9 feet tall already.We had to rent a trailer to get it home!
Kathy

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:02:49 AM »
Kathy, I'm sorry to hear about your Shelby.  :(  It's hard, isn't it...
Can't help with your tree.. I think threats work pretty good too.  Told the avocado tree last year that if it was only gonna give 4 fruits a year it was going to become fire wood.  This year it looks like we're going to have tons of fruit!
Don't know what's worse - to little or to much!
Tammie

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 08:01:30 PM »
Oh Tammie-
I am soooo jealous of you living in HI! I went there about 18 years ago and fell in love o(:-) with it. I wanted my then fiancee to come there and I did not want to come home. I was there with my Mom. I cried all the way to the airport, I mean SOBBED! Got married and we fully intended to go there together and then ya know, life happens. :(

Thanks about Shelby, It is hard. Only animal lovers understand. We are doing better today. It's hardest for me when I'm the only one home, but We still have Buckley our Wheaten terrier and he's a true blessing right now. If he wasn't here it would be so much harder.
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
Returned the Jap Maple today/ they gave me a store credit even with no receipt! (Yah Bordines!) I bought the Green Panda Bamboo. Posted on that.
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"