Author Topic: what are my fish doing?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
what are my fish doing?
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:06:52 PM »
I have a small man made pond with a waterfalls.  I have a shubunkin, several comets and several sarassa goldfish in it that look healthy and happy.  But, they do a strange thing.  The go under the waterfalls and just let the water pound down on top of them, sometimes they even jump up towards the water falling down.  This is a regular habit of all of them.  The water is crystal clear, the filter clean, they have no signs of illness, no breathing difficulties, plenty of food and plants to nibble on and hide under. The water quality is A-ok.  What is this strange behavior they are exhibiting?  Thank you.  Jax
Jax

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: what are my fish doing?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »
My fish love to have water poured on them when I add buckets of water to refill or changed water.  They do the same as yours but once I finish pouring the water they go back to their usual routine  o(

Someone else will know better  ;)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »
Mine do the same thing, esp. the Wakin. Look closely at the falls do you have any tiny black bugs flying around. My guess is that they are trying to catch the bugs.  O0

Last year the falls was a bit diffreent and the  Wakin would actually jump up land on a rock sideways, and have to wiggle around to get back in the water, they did that for  hours at a time. Fun to watch. Now who said fish are boring?

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:46:05 PM »
We had a pump coupling come loose about a week ago and it made a huge jet of water, making big bulge in the surface of the water, without ever fountaining out and creating spray.  While Hubby and I gathered tools and fixed it, the comets would do the exact same thing you are describing, actually jumping out of the water and playing in the water.  It was funny to watch :-D

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
the first time i saw this several years ago, my fish were also flashing alot. i ended up adding some salt and they were fine again. from time to time i've observed one or two doing this and always considered it a warning but never saw any other indications of anything wrong. this year the fish are often seen gathering in small groups under the falls. they look and seem happy and it's really the most i get to see of them most days. but hey, i like my shower massage too!  8)

i definitely wouldn't worry unless you start seeing something more bizarre or signs of flashing. but then i'm not sure it's likely you'll ever see anything as bizarre as Nancy's story!! ;D  :o
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"