Author Topic: Water Quality  (Read 1024 times)

Offline LBAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Water Quality
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:02:18 AM »
I was wondering if anybody can help. I bought a water lily last week and transplanted it into a larger container. It was originally in a small pot with thick grayish clay. I washed what I could off and transplanted. Apparently I didn't get enough because my crystal clear water is now a lovely shade of gray. :( I thought it would dissipate but here it is a week later and the water is no better. Other then a complete water change is there anything I can do? I don't want to stress the fish out again this spring as we already cleaned out the pond. I'm so frustrated!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water Quality
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 05:09:18 AM »
Hi. I'm haveing the same problem so don't feel alone. I repotted all my Lillies and added some Lotus. I put gravel and rocks ont the top but my naughty naughty Koi keep digging away exposing the mud. I just keep doing water changes and put the Polly foam ( or you can use quilt batting) in frount of the filter and wash it lots! Good luck!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 06:07:43 AM »
the sediment will eventually settle(you can vacuum it up from the bottom)...try putting the pots into a bucket of water before adding them to the pond...also I use pure clay soil and then top of with big ol' rocks if you you have koi...they love making mud tornados and pebbles just don't stand a chance up against them....I use either the larger stoned pebbles or in one of my ponds I use smaller flagstone ontop of the soil....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:57:39 PM »
Also adding quilt batting to your filter system will help.

You do know that you can do small water changes???

Good luck

Offline LBAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:17:12 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice! Everyone is so helpful. I have done a couple little water changes and I just out and added some batting. Hopefully it will be back to normal soon.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:44:55 PM »
Check out Skippy on Koi Village's site
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 05:09:18 AM »
the sediment will eventually settle(you can vacuum it up from the bottom)...try putting the pots into a bucket of water before adding them to the pond...also I use pure clay soil and then top of with big ol' rocks if you you have koi...they love making mud tornados and pebbles just don't stand a chance up against them....I use either the larger stoned pebbles or in one of my ponds I use smaller flagstone ontop of the soil....
Lawanna
:doh:Thanks Lawanna, I have bigger rocks on other things why did I neglect to do it this time. Of coarse! My filter is comming out black black. I just went out and hosed them off now it's off to work.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"