Author Topic: Look where my kids went camping  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Look where my kids went camping
« on: May 30, 2007, 07:57:10 PM »
One of their grandparents gave this to the boys for Christmas.  Its big enough for 3 sleeping bags, side by side.  So both my boys (14) and my daughter (9) are camping out tonight on the deck.  Really roughing it, huh.

We started the night out with a fire in the fire pit.  Then put up the tent.  They said next time we need stuff to make smores.  It was way to hot for a fire, but  I built one anyway.  But first I took the waterhose and sprayed down the area really well.  Haven't had rain in 4 weeks.

They have the luxury of rope lights all the way around the deck.  I made curtains out of the extra shade cloth.  I have them drawn so the neighbors aren't peering straight over at them.  They probably won't, but you know what I mean. Then they have a 10.2" portable tv/dvd player inside the tent with snacks.  The sound of running water from the falls....etc.  I took a fan and sat it on a table to blow through the tent window. 

One of the boys asked if we could turn the falls off, said he didn't want to hear it all night.  I said what if you all were really camping, you can't turn of the sounds of mother nature.  He said true. 

I just wanted to share they're roughing it with everyone.... lol  I wonder how long they will make it out there before coming in tonight.  We live pretty close to train tracks, and they are very loud and rock the house, also a Fire Station.  I bet my daughter flys in the house if one goes by.  Can you see my daughter in the 3rd pic...I was trying to take some of all of them, it just wouldn't work.

Kim

There is a pic of the rope lights and how well it lights up the deck before we put the tent up. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 08:14:08 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Look where my kids went camping
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
The waterfalls sound better than the trains & cars. Looks like fun ;D

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:34:33 PM »
Too cool. I'd love to let my kids do that. Good for you for letting them be adventurous and giving them the opportunity to do so.

Sleeping outside was a special treat when I was a kid. And we didn't have the technologies that we have now- no TV's, video games, phones, etc. All I had was a battery operated light (and I thought that was the cat's jammies!).

Kevin & I used to go camping before we had kids. Then I guess we chickened out. Coyotes? Bears? Baby Humans? No running water? No thanks.  ;)

I really want to go camping. Maybe the deck would be a good place to start. Thanks for the tip.  :)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:48:21 AM »
How fun......and convenient  ;D

Your new deck looks woooonderful. 

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:09:02 AM »
That is too cool!  I would love to sleep to the sounds of the waterfall.  I wish our house was set up a little different so that our master bedroom was by the falls instead of my office.  I used to love to camp out when I was a kid.  I grew up on a farm so our campout was usually on a wagon of hay and we would build a fort!  Ahhh...to be a kid again! 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:41:45 AM »
Kim, that is wonderful for the kids to be able to sleep outside. We used to have a tent in the back yard that stayed up all summer. Other summers we had a popup camper that stayed up just for the kids to play in.  If I couldn't find some of my dishes or silverware, I knew where to look. Finally the tent rotted and we had to toss it. And finally we had to give the camper back to our inlaws. And finally all the kids moved out. Let those kids build their memories right now because it won't be long and they're out the door.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
Well, two out of the three slept out there all night.  One of my boys when he's tired, he wants to go to sleep.  His sister was bothing him talking, so he came in.  But my other son, the one that never gets along with his sister stayed out there and so did she.  I can't believe it, they got along.  I told Justin he was a party pooper, it wasn't just to sleep.  It was to play, watch movies and have fun.  He said, I just wanted to sleep so I came in... ::)

But they had fun, and ready to do it again tonight but I said not tonight but soon.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 09:20:45 PM »
I'll bet they had a blast! My 9 year old daughter loves to camp in the tent, however my 15 year old daughter now wants nothing to do with it! Go figure...

Greg

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 04:52:20 AM »
Great, camping is a wonderful experience.  My kids use to tent in the back yard alot.  One summer the boys put the tent up on the swing set tower so the cats, and dogs wouldn't bother them.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 07:53:04 AM »
That is so cute, and the Pergola and deck look wonderful.  O0

Joann

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:02:15 AM »
Kim when the first pix started uploading I thought that you got a new lighthouse... love the firepit though.  It's like a chimnea and firepit in one!

Everything looks great.. the rope lights look great.  We have some that we were going to use but never have got them up yet.. Had them for 3-4 yrs now! ::)

Camping out is one of the few good memories that I have as a kid..

We camped out alot in the summer, didn't have a tent though we had to rough it but it was alot of fun. 

Good memories thanks for reminding me!

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 07:22:20 PM »
My 8yr old DS likes to camp out in our yard too.  We live in the boonies so no trains or sirens.

Tonight, DS and DH are camping out for real at a race track. They both race tomorrow.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"