Author Topic: My first night shot!  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
My first night shot!
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:35:14 PM »
Costco had these solar powered tiki torches. Looked good, but when I assembled them i found each torch had 2 batteries, ugh!  I can see myself changing 16 batteries...NOT!
We gave them a try and ohmygod they look spectacular.
I will try for a dusk pic later.  The lamps flicker as though there is a flame.
Not real impressive photos, but it does look good.
The little tub on the left is the tadpoles home until they climb out and discover, I hope, the pond.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: My first night shot!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
Costco has the greatest stuff, don't they?

I've been tossing around the idea of getting solar powered lights, but am not crazy about the reviews. Newer ones are supposed to be better. How would you describe the light intensity from these?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:00:39 PM »
I don't understand.  Why batteries if they are supposedly solar powered? 

The fetching one bought a couple of cheap solar lights for the garden a couple of years ago.  They initially put out a very dim light.  I noticed recently they put out no light.  I guess I should toss them.....  We have some kerosene tiki torches in the garage.  I've used them once in eight years.....  I guess I should toss them as well......

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:00:26 PM »
I'm guessing they use rechargeable batteries, sun charges them in the daytime they run off the battery at night.  I have a set of 4 I got from Harbor Freight.  They are enough to illuminate where the path is but you could still trip over a big rock.  I've noticed they are not as bright as they were last year so I guess the batteries are going, maybe I'll take one apart.

I also got some kind of ugly solar LED lights from Harbor Freight, they are made to screw down on the edge of a driveway.  They are still putting out a lot of light, they've always been a lot brighter than the other ones.  LED light is really blue and not very attractive but is uses so much less energy that it can brighter.  I actually really like these lights, they are very sturdy you really could drive over them.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:12:59 PM »
Mike, that's what I wondered too.  My engineer friend said the same thing Jonna did.
The photo is poor, The effect is startling.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 02:08:29 AM »
I got some cool lantern style solar lights last year that look like they have candles in them  I put some by the pond and some in pots on the front porch. The neighbors called to remind me about my lit candles!! You can see one in my sedum post by the japanese maple.
Kathy

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 08:19:19 AM »
I bought a four pack of really cheap solar lights last year, figuring I would be pitching them real soon.  They came with the batteries also, I installed then, stuck them in the ground and they are still working and going strong.  The sun recharges them through the little solar panel.    Mine just put off a nice glow, not bright, but it is enough to outline the pond at night, which is what I wanted.  I may get some prettier ones now, so easy even I can install.  LOL
Celia

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »
Got a 4 pack of Halogen lights and the wire at Lowe's two years ago 29.95. Still going strong and they really put off a good light. Jerry I like your torches, we have the old flame type by the swing outside to repel mosquito's.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"