Author Topic: Can I pressure wash this?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can I pressure wash this?
« on: June 27, 2007, 12:44:44 PM »
green stuff off my lumber? And no we are not finished with trimmings yet.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:51:52 PM by GAjen »

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can I pressure wash this?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »
We pressure wash our deck without chemicals each year, but you have to seal it afterwards to protect it from the weather.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline models916

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:50 AM »
Pressure treated lumber needs no sealers after power washing. Adding sealers or color is cosmetic only, Hence the 20-25 year warranty. There are products out that will retard the algae that grows on lumber in shady areas. More Info? Check at Home Depot Paint. Behr training for deck products and wood in general is very accurate.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 08:12:33 AM »
I'll look into it thanks.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:10:18 PM »
Is that a new project you want to power wash? Often the pressure treated lumber has a greenish cast to it when purchased anyway, that is from the chemicals I suspect. Your wood looks pretty new to have algae growing on it. Or maybe the picture color is off. If you power wash it, be careful of which nozzle you are using. And be careful where you are spraying. We rented one a long time ago and  I remember having the just straight spray nozzle on and when it accidently sprayed across my bare foot it actually left a slightly bloody streak. So also if you are real close to the wood and the spray is a tight stream, it can actually almost cut the surface. We now own a power washer and I can adjust the type of stream. It isn't the most powerful machine but we have used it several times. In fact I power washed the liner of my little pond to remove the algae a while back.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:38:35 PM »
That's all new treated lumber Esther. I've since found out that the green is part of what they treat it in and it is best not to wash it off. I am going to stain it this week with a clear stain that helps the lumber from turning grey over the years. Besides hiding the fishmate that pond is finished and the other pond is finished to with the exception of adding the lights. I've still got no blooms open but the Miami Rose. An Albert Greenberg tried to open today but now it is raining. Thanks for sharing that about the pressure washer.

Offline LuvMyFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
Never use pressure treated lumber around the pond. The chemicals in pressure treated lumber can and will kill your fish.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"