Author Topic: Cool Way to Display Duckweed  (Read 778 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cool Way to Display Duckweed
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »

To show duckweed or any other small leafed-plant in a really nifty way, I took some Styrofoam cups - like the ones single-servings of KFC mashed potatoes come in, or you can cut down a coffee cup, etc. - and spray painted it black, inside and out.  I poked a few holes in the bottom, to let fresh water flow in and out. 

Put it in the pond, and add a few small rocks or large gravel - just enough to weight it so that most of the cup is below the water line, but there is still a rim above the water line.

Now you can put in your duckweed, and the greenery will fill the inside of the cup, and as it floats around your pond, it looks like a small ring of green, all contained in one place.  Really cool!

Note:  Rain (and also koi) will splash the duckweed out, but, what the heck.  You can always scoop it back up and put it back in. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Way to Display Duckweed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:15:38 PM »
My fish love the duckweed and I have seen them chasing after food in the bog and shallow areas and their whole head is out of the water. So I bet it wouldn't last long in my pond. Besides it would be eventually sucked into the skimmer unless I tethered it somehow.

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »
You can do the same with black ABS pipe—cut short rings and toss them in the pond. They will contain floating stuff like azolla. You can pick what ever diameter you want...

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:14:21 AM »
I grow Duckweed and Azolla in ponds without fish and then toss in to the big pond for them to eat. They love them both and they do as Esther's do and almost beach themselves on the rocks/plants to get it.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"