Author Topic: progress on lily pond  (Read 2148 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
progress on lily pond
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:32:39 AM »
Didn't feel like taking the time to find my origanal post so I started a new one.  I have been sooooo busy with work, elderly relatives, new grandbaby etc. I have not posted much, so seeing as to day I have off I thought I'd quick post some pictures of the new lily pond.Well it's been a while since I posted any pictures.  Have been SLOOOOOWY working at getting this project finnished.  Last weekend we put up the bridge, DH made it a bit wider then I had thought he would, but he said if railings are on he doesen't want to feel confined, so it is 4' wide.  I kind of like it with no railings, I can sit and put my feet in, but it is his bridge so we will wait and see what happens. The water had gotten so green and I saw no way it was clearing and the lilies were looking sad so we bit the bullet and added an 1800gph and diy skimmer/filter made of a rubermaid container  iwhich sits under the bridge.  Water is still not real good, but I can see the pots enough when I'm in getting off old pads that I'm not tripping and falling in.  Had my first lily bloom and have a few more buds.  I realize it will be a slow year as they get established.  Have a gazillion tadpoles, not sure how many are frogs or toads, and everytime I rinse the mats I loose a few, but that's ok.  We are on vacation next week so we will hopefully finish the rocks, the bubbler rock and get some plants planted around it.  I am going plant shopping today but thought I'd do a quick post. I'll post some final shots of the bubbler rock, etc. but till then here are just a few shots from yesterday.

a veiw from the big arbor

first lily, Attraction split, kind of small but it's also pretty deep at this end.

One of the new resident frogs/toad, he is very small, not much bigger then a thumb nail, but boy can he belt out a loud song.  Always in these rocks at the end of the pond, had to lift one up to get the shot.

Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: progress on lily pond
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:56:41 AM »
Absolutely fabulous. Love the bridge. Love that huge yard. I'm so jealous. My back fence is about twenty feet from my back door.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »
You've done a really good job Marla.  I too love that bridge!  What a nice big area you have to work with, I'm envious.  emm

Offline sheepie

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:26:05 AM »
Looks great   O0 
Bessie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:45:27 AM »
Great work and design.  Looks soooo relaxing  8)

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:35:49 AM »
that frog is a Pine Barrens Tree Frog,i believe. a phenomenal species of tree frog found native to North America, i think they max out at about 3 inches long or so, he has some growing left to do.  i think you are very lucky to have something so unusual at your pond!

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 04:54:01 AM »
The rocks give it a natural touch, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how relaxing  8) What is that name of the tree growing in the far corner?

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 08:13:29 AM »
 O0 O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »
That is so pretty.   o(:-)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 09:27:02 AM »
Thanks everyone, I've got a ways to go yet to finish.  On vacation this week with DH so maybe we can get it finished, and some landscaping done.  LeeAnne, and emm, big yards have their down sides also, like cutting them weekly, that's why we planted all the trees in the back, but even then it's alot to cut.

The rocks give it a natural touch, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, how relaxing  8) What is that name of the tree growing in the far corner?

Not sure which one you mean? The two closest to the pond, the one on the left is a peach tree and loaded with peaches and the other one is a maple.

that frog is a Pine Barrens Tree Frog,i believe. a phenomenal species of tree frog found native to North America, i think they max out at about 3 inches long or so, he has some growing left to do.  i think you are very lucky to have something so unusual at your pond!

Checked out that link, problem is I'm in WI and I don't think it is in this area.  I checked out the NWF website and I'm thinking its just a comman green tree frog, it is cute though.  There are a couple kinds down there and the noise at night is really loud, can hear it even with the windows closed, but we love that sound.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
I love your barrel fountain!
Joey

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 07:51:42 PM »
It look's Great , Marla !  O0 I love the bridge... o(:-)
bonnie

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 08:07:22 PM »
Your ponds are beautiful.  O0   I wish I had room for large ponds.  Most of our property is steep mountain land, so I had to squeeze my ponds in a long narrow space.

Ruth
Ruth

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 09:12:51 PM »
Looks great, you all did a fantastic job.  I'm with you, I think I would like the bridge without rails too.  Tell him, it would block out the other pond if he puts rails...then you can keep dangling your feet.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 09:30:08 PM »
 O0 I like the bridge the way it is with everything else around your pond  o(:-)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 03:37:26 AM »
Marla it's looking so great! I love the little sitting area right by the pond.
Kathy

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 09:11:32 AM »
I would not want to cut all that grass for sure. I do want to plant a bunch of trees and large shrubs and can't squeeze any more into my yard. I'd love some of the new colored ninebarks and elderberries and witch hazels with their fabulous fragrance and great form.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"