Author Topic: So hot and dry here, topping off the ponds.....  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
So hot and dry here, topping off the ponds.....
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »
My front yard puddle I thought there was a leak, but its just evaporation.  Because the 2 ponds out back are doing the same, just not as fast as the puddle or less noticable.

This morning, I walked out and sat on the deck and realized the falls was really loud, I looked over and it was the UV light spraying above the water surface like a water hose.  I added like 6 inches to it.  I hadn't topped off in awhile because they keep saying rain.  Rain, yeah right we have drought conditions here, everything is turning brown.  Same with the swimming pool, been adding water to it every other day.

The dry air seems to be acting as a straw and just sucking it right up.

In the past 7 weeks we've had a little over an inch of rain.  Many places in KY are under water restrictions, Louisville isn't guess because we're so close to the Ohio River. 

My new Elephant Ears are still alive but very small, Banana's are putting out leaves.  Normally at this time of year, it already looks like a jungle.

Just wish we would or could get some much needed rain.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: So hot and dry here, topping off the ponds.....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »
Come to Houston.  It's been raining every other day for a couple of weeks.  Mosquitoes love it.    :-\     And it's ruined my plans for outdoor projects again today.  Now I'm stuck doing INdoor projects - like putting away the laundry.   :(

But I feel for ya.  I always freak when my water's low - because I'm convinced I have a leak somewhere.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:22:56 PM »
Same here Kim, but this is the dry season.  The Mayor is talking about shorter showers.
Maybe if a few million illegals went home....
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 12:57:04 PM »
Kim not my best but you get the idea......I wish it would rain.

http://jensrealm.net/multi/Rain.mp3

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 02:15:36 PM »
I hear ya Jerry!  Think about how much gas it would save too.  Millions not using gas, hmmmm.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »
That would mean half of our town's population would have to leave. I could live with that.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 03:15:56 PM »
We had the water restrictions & drought really bad last year.  This spring/summer we've been so wet that I feel like we need a boat.  Hope you get some decent rain soon.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"