Author Topic: Low temps for tropical plants?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Low temps for tropical plants?
« on: September 13, 2006, 07:27:41 PM »
Summer seems to be over here, temps dropping into the 50's and 40's this week at night.

How low can Brugmansias go? I put them in the greenhouse but it is not weatherproofed or heated yet. Are they goners?

Pond isn't built yet for the greenhouse, are Albert Greenberg and King of Siam toast?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Low temps for tropical plants?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:40:33 PM »
Not sure of 'the lowest' LeeAnne. I have had one brug in the ground over the last two winters. Last year I only got down to 42, but the winter before saw many nights in the high 30's. Brug sailed happilly through, growing leaves all the time.

Still owe you a shipment of canna = soon I promise.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:00:43 PM »
Your brugs are fine LeeAnne. They can even handle a light frost and survive. Mine are still outside and will stay there for a while yet. Is your greenhouse up yet?

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 04:05:38 AM »
Many tropical plants do fine outdoors in the 40's and 50's. Unless you have some kinda "ultra tropical" plants like tender rainforest gingers, episcia, heliconia, some orchids, they will be okay. SOme tropicals will "stall out" and quit growing once it gets below 50, others are unaffected. Many come back as perennials in higher zones (like Hedychiums, Curcumas, Clerodendrons etc). Brugmansias will freeze to the ground in zones 7 and 8 and come back from the roots year after year.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:42:25 AM »
The greenhouse is up, but not insulated, caulked or electrical run.

I've not really ever tried to grow tropical plants here.

I have Brugmansias, Bougainvilleas, Gardenias, a blue Thunbergia vine, and a couple of vining Philodendrons that are still in the house.

MikeW, no worries, unless you are digging them up and dividing, next spring is fine. I'm somewhat overwhelmed with plants right now.

Sean, I haven't forgotten your red mini daylily if you are reading this. I dug it up but just haven't gotten it boxed or to the post office.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 03:32:13 PM »
I finally moved my Burg into a sunny spot.  Now maybe i will have flowers.  it was in deep shade.

Many tropicals do fine here. some die back when a feeze happens.  Some suvive a freeze just fine as long as it is not of extended duration.
It looks pretty ratty here, but will snap back.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline azreno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Mesa, AZ
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 02:32:11 PM »
Hi LeeAnne!

I agree, with temps only dipping into the 40's everything is fine, even your waterlilies. i'm so glad you've got you greenhouse up!
 @O@ @O@ @O@

Lynn

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 05:18:42 PM »
I think it depends even within a group of plants.  I have a couple of hibiscus and a couple of passiflora that get very testy if the temps drop below about 55.  They don't die, they just pretend they are going to die.  Since they make it very clear that they don't like it, I bring them in after the first time they wilt and whine.  Most tropicals will do fine with those temps for a while and if they don't like it, you'll know it before it kills them.  Now if you let them get hit by a frost, that's another story . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"