Author Topic: Kim, Tim and Tinkster...... Lotus woes  (Read 997 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Kim, Tim and Tinkster...... Lotus woes
« on: June 14, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »
In another thread we talked bout Lotus care. One thing I did not know was that you cannot cut off the lotus stems below the water line as the lotus could drown.
    As a little background, My Lotus was VERY healthy and was Very happy. We had been going through a drought period and things were getting pretty dried out. The lotus was 4-6 inches below the water line in my pond so it was not effected by the lack of water. One sunny afternoon we received a surprise storm, it brought a torrential monsoon style down pour and it lasted the better part of 4 hours, high wind heavy rain an 100 degree heat and blaring sun right after. The plants started looking bad within days some of the floaters were turning yellow and the tall leaves were becoming dry around the edges and dying off (much as you can still see in the picture) there is also some evidence of some sort of bug problem not sure what that is.
    So all that to tell you that I cut off the bad leaves and did so below the water line, Not so happy any more!

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Kim, Tim and Tinkster...... Lotus woes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:11:15 AM »
All may not be lost, don't chuck it yet.  Just let it sit there and see what happens.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:14:43 AM »
Hadn't planned on tearing it out until I know it is not coming back Still my heart just sunk when I realized I may have hastened it's demise. :'(
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:30:41 AM »
Oh no- so sorry about your lotus Andy.  Hopefully it will still recover for you....
Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 11:24:14 AM »
Sorry El Jefe  :(  We all learn the hard way.  Now I've learned something.

Don't give up!!

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
There is a local dealer/grower near me. Last time I visited I noticed (and asked about) -- he always trims his lotus BELOW the water line. He said he's never had a problem.  So after seeing his the past couple years....I'm not convinced yet either way what is right and wrong way to trim the stems/pads.

So don't give up on yours yet!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 12:02:48 PM »
Hey there...

This could be nothing or it could be.. but for whats it worth.  I moved most of that lotus from the  smaller tub to the new pond the neighbor gave me, same lotus as yours.  It
gets sun from daylight till dark.  and mine is doing the same thing yours is (see pictures) but there is always new growth coming up so I am not sure you have a problem, maybe we both do  though... . Maybethe leaves of this particular lotus do that in full hot sun? Maybe our oscomite burned them in full hot sun??  The part of it I left in the small tub in about 6 hours of sun is not doing it this year nor did it last year.. maybe johns will see this or some of the lotus experts and say hey thats common for some species that maybe dont like the heat as much???????? big questions huh :)

anyway.. dont fret if it does die..theres always next year and I have plenty plenty to share.

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"