Author Topic: Reedman's Pics.  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Reedman's Pics.
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:10:41 PM »
Here's the pics Dave. Hope they work, didn't save in the folder like they usually do? 

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Reedman's Pics.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 01:22:11 PM »
I love your waterfall, gonna show it to hubby for ideas if that is okay with you. O0
Have a blessed day

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 02:44:32 PM »
Thanks Nancy for posting my pics.

The first one shows the nicest five midnight blue shubunkins that were born Spring 2006.  I raised them outside in a 100 gallon stock tank, but moved them indoors to a 55 gallon aquarium over the winter.  They are about 5" long.

The waterfall was pretty easy to build.  Underneath is concrete blocks (not mortared together) in the general shape, corner of the pond liner draped over it, rocks in the waterway sealed with "Great Stuff", Pennsylvania fieldstone facade.  Sometimes I bareroot plant impatiens in the side of the waterway.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »
the midnight blue shubunkins are beautiful.  They grew 5" in one year?!?!? :D  What are you feeding them?

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »
miguynmkoi,

They grew to about 2" last summer outside in the stock tank.  They grazed on the algae and I fed them Tetra goldfish flakes.  Since they have been inside, I fed them Aquarium Pharmaceutical "spring/fall" pellets.

When my pond water clears, I'll have my daughter take some pics of the adult midnights.  They are 8-10". Some are almost entirely black, but a few have strikingly beautiful blue/black/cream patterns.   I have about 15-20 in the pond.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:59:49 PM »
LOVE all the pics dave!  Thanks for sending.
GORGEOUS!

tinkster

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »
 :D Can't wait to see the grown ups  8)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Reedman, those are very nice midnight shubbies! I think I had some once, got eaten by the Heron. You take real good care of those babies! They look happy & healthy.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:44:32 PM »
karen J,

I have a greenhouse-like structure over my pond - 1 1/2" PVC pipe 9' high with a 4" nylon mesh net.  Ironically, after I built it I lost 2/3 of my fish that same spring to a parasite infestation.  The water was thick with algae and they were dying on the bottom.

I live one mile from the Susquehanna River where there are many egrets and great blue herons.  They would die trying to get my fish.  The 4" mesh allows birds the size of mourning dove or smaller to get through.  They like to drink from the lava rock trickle tower.
Reedman

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 09:07:11 AM »
Oooh, I really like those midnight blue shubunkins.  There pretty little things, or big things.  Your falls looks great.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 02:20:12 PM »
Anytime I see the name Reedman, I think Midnight Shubunkins! ;)

Looks great!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »
Me too, Bonnie. Reedman = Midnight Shubunkins and me being jealous.

Hughes Water Gardens had some a couple years ago. I can't remember why I didn't buy them when I saw them but I've never seen any again.  :'(
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 08:43:33 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. 

It has been cloudy here the past few days.  When the cloud cover breaks, I'll have my daughter take some pics of the large (10-11") midnight blue shubunkins in my pond.

I'll get her to take a pic of the anti-egret structure over my pond and some better pics of the mb shubunkins in the 55-gallon tank.

There is only one breeder of midnight blue shubunkins - about an hour away.  Every other spring I drive down and hand pick at least 5.  They are quite expensive - 3" sells for about $9, 6" for about $25!!!!!!!!  :cry: :doh: 

They are only able to breed about 20,000-40,000 a year and they ship worldwide.  That is why they are hard to find.
Reedman

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"