Author Topic: Where did you get your water test kit?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Where did you get your water test kit?
« on: June 14, 2007, 05:07:44 PM »
I want to get another one for a couple of reasons.  This one is several years old and I think the stuff may expire. It's a Pondmaster from the local PetCo and it doesn't have a test for KH or GH  and that is something you guys always ask about.  I read somewhere, can't find it, that the strips are better than the drops in a test tube (that's what I have now), do you think that is true?  I also read that the digital ones are not very accurate.  So, what's the consensus on which is the best kit and where do you get it?

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you get your water test kit?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »
I think you have it backwards. The drops are definitely BETTER than the strips.

I get mine at Petsmart. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals ones. If yours is a few years old then it is definitely time to get new ones. I only keep them for a year and toss them. This past winter I was using a nitrate test. I kept getting these ridiculously HIGH readings when I shouldn't have been. I had a MUCH bigger TT than last winter. So I got a new test and the readings were back in the normal range.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »
I like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand too. I think it's called the "Freshwater Master Test Kit". If you can't find it locally (Petco & Petsmart usually cary it) you may be able to get it at KoiVillage.com. The one I refer to is the one that tests pH, Nitrite, Ammonia, Carbonate hardness (KH) + General hardness (GH). It is under their "pond care" line of products.
One of their kits tests for salt, but not for KH and GH. Try to find the KH & GH one.

I've tired other kits (like the Tetra Laborett), but I always go back to that AQ kit.

The test strips are somewhat valuable, though, as they give a "quick" overall view that only takes a minute. If you get a strange reading, you can then test more thoroughly. It's nice to have both.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 07:17:41 PM »
I agree with Karen.

The strips aren't as accurate but they're quick and if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't test as often.

If I get a bad reading using the strips then I get out my liquid test kit.

I always use the Jungle Brand strips and the Tetra which you can get at Lowes or Home Depot.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »
Agree on the strips for quick checks..but for real numbers have to use the drop kits
Mary

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:50:55 PM »
I'll go look at PetSmart tomorrow.  The one I have has the salt test, which I don't need, and not the hardness.  Plus, it's a different brand. 

Thanks for the tips.  I may try googling them and just order them online if I can.  The Pet Stores out here have very limited pond stuff, mostly aquarium stuff.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 06:44:36 AM »
I buy the kits separately. I only get Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and KH (which also contains the GH) I can't see getting the strips myself. If you KNOW that they are not accurate then why bother is my way of thinking. Just me I guess.

Did you know if you shop on line at Petsmart and then take your order to the store that they will honor the prices that are on line which MOST of the time are CHEAPER than in the store?  For example Amquel Plus. In the store it is $13.99  >:(-  On the internet it is $8.99 I just print out my list take it to the store ask for a price match  show them the list and I get it for $8.99  @O@ Some things are the same price,but I've found most to be cheaper. I know the  AP tests are cheaper.  O0

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:53:56 AM »
PANancy, Wow, I never knew that!  :doh: I've been paying their full price for years.  :doh: :doh: :doh:

Thanks for the tip!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 07:54:20 AM »
If you KNOW that they are not accurate then why bother is my way of thinking. Just me I guess.

They just aren't AS accurate but will still give you an idea of what your water quality is.. 

So, for some folks that don't have time to do the liquid test this is better than not testing at all.
Take a few seconds and use the strip, if it's off then it's time to pull out the liquid test.

Doing this is much better than not testing.. If I had to do the liquid test all the time, I wouldn't test near as often.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you get your water test kit? *more questions*
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »
Great tips!  I'm printing my list (and checking it twice ;D

I found the KH Test by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals but it doesn't say anything about GH.  No GH test showed up.  Does it show both even though it doesn't say that?  Do I need the GH? 

I also looked at the AmQuel Plus.  What are you using it for?  I have a chlorine/chloramine remover but this says it also removes nitrates and ammonia, do you only use it when they show up in the tests?  Do you use it whenever you add water? 

Thanks,

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"