Author Topic: Can you believe?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can you believe?
« on: June 16, 2007, 09:20:30 AM »
I didn't use PVC for this project.

We needed a table out by the pool to use for a potting table and to serve food when we had a shindig on the patio out there so I built this out of Wolmanized lumber. I think I got it too tall so will have to cut the legs off a bit.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can you believe?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
That looks perfect, great job.  Your a very tallented woman.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 10:03:11 AM »
Womanized lumber?  ;)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 10:50:06 AM »
LOL Mikey - that is exactly what I read too.
Esther, seriously, is there anything you don't do well?

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »
LOL. You guys need your eyes checked. :D

Actually it was very simple when you have the right tools. All you have to do is measure, cut and put in the screws. The hard part was getting it out of the basement. I of course never measured the doorway. It squeaked through and missed the door by maybe an inch. PHEW  :o Pete is going to cut a couple of inches off the bottoms of the legs. I might keep some garden tools, a container of potting soil, and a large tub for pool toys under the table. 

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 12:44:54 PM »
Ohmygosh, I thought it said "womanized" too.   lol  Esther, you did a great job!  My husband is a carpenter/woodworker/contractor, but if I want something made around here I'll have to do it, he doesn't have the time.  I wish I knew how to do something with wood, anything.  I have a scroll saw and a drill, but I can't use either of them very well. 

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 12:50:57 PM »
esther, what i really believe is that i'm not showing you my potting bench that i made!! mine looks like a kid's father's day present compared to yours - which looks better than if you had gone and bought it already made!! impressive job and something i know you are going to be very thankful you took the time to make! i know mine may not be pretty, but it certainly makes the work easier!! O0
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 01:18:50 PM »
You know folks, it isn't anything great, what I do, I have been around DIY and construction people all my life so it has rubbed off some and it probably is in my blood too. Everything on that table is straight cuts and put together with deck screws. It is very simple when you have the tools. Pete helped a little but mostly he just fills in the background and makes sure I'm doing it right. If he sees I'm doing something stupid or that there would be a better way to do something, he'll jump in with the suggestion. But mostly I did it all myself.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
I am alwaYS AMAZED AT THE PROJECTS WOMEN TACKLE AND DO WELL.
tODAY the tools are great . They tend to foollow directions too.
I had no father figure to show me how to do stuff.  After watching a gazillion do-it-yourself TV shows, I ammgetting better.
Great job Esther.  You wolmanizer you!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »
Esther, not bad for a woman. ::) ;) :)

The number one rule in woodworking is "measure twice, cut once."

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 08:37:46 PM »
Scott, you are asking for trouble. {nono}

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:42 PM »
Esther, that looks great!   @O@  Did you have a design/plan for it, or did you just wing it as you went?   It really looks as good as any you could buy.   O0

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 04:36:04 AM »
I just winged it. I ripped 2 x 4s in half the long way for the legs. I did the same thing to make the frame to apply the top boards and shelf. I had a general idea of the space where it was going to sit so used that measurement. I also tried to have as little waste as possible so used 8 footers for the 4' top and ripped them in half the narrow way. The shelf is 39" long so I used a 12 footer for that. I figure I spent about $30-$35 for the project. I would guess it would cost $100 or more to buy it ready made. It will sit outside for the summer months only so it will last longer than I do.

To make sure the frame was square, I layed the corners out on the workbench edge and clamped the pieces down firmly before I applied the screws. The work bench is an ancient, huge teacher's desk that came from the school where my X used to teach. That thing is so heavy I tried to move it over and it wouldn't budge.

I convinced Dh that he should start collecting the tools he will need after he retires and no longer has access to the tools on his work truck. We told the kids to give him gift cards from Lowes for last Christmas and his birthday in January. He bought a rechargeable DeWalt that came with two batteries and a lifetime warranty. I like it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:09:19 AM by Esther »

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 05:01:59 AM »
Great job Esther, especially considering that you just winged it on the plans. It really is satisfying to make something out of wood that is usefull.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 09:23:10 AM »
I can't draw or cut a straight line. I suck with math and don't enjoy using tools. I have much admiration for people who do. I think you did a really good job and not just a good job for a woman!!! Many men can't work with their hands or tools. I also admire people who finish their projects!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 01:01:15 PM »
Thanks folks for the encouraging words. I am happy with the way it turned out.

I think I get my ability to do crafty stuff from my mom. One of my clearest memories is of coming home from school and hearing a noise up in the opening to the atic of our farmhouse. There sat my mother with a handful of wires and a book from Sears on how to rewire your house. She had noticed that the rubber insulation coating the wires in our house was all crackled and breaking away so she simply rewired our house.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
Ya do us proud Esther! I always get called a tom boy cuz I love working with tools and doing things I can myself. But I care not, it gives us a good feeling of acopmleashment Yes?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 03:25:09 AM »
Oh yeah. Somehow I need to be creating and making things. That is when I'm happiest. Nothing gets done around here when I'm on a task. Dh knows to not expect supper prepared for him. Poor thing.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 09:31:34 AM »
 lol I can recall so clearly when we first built our house and I would be out side, Honey, will we eat today if I don't cook it? No I don't think so. And when I was building my pond. Honey, I don't have any clean cloths? Well don't you know how to run the washer? It seems I too don't get anything else done when I'm on a project.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »
My firsy wife was very crafty too. One day I came home and the house reeked of a petroleum smell. I figured that she was decopaging <sp?> or varnishing something so I just made a pot of coffee and sat in my recliner.

There on the floor beside me were several sheets of newspaper spread out, in the center, a bug bomb! I had been smelling insecticide for about 10 minutes and didn't know it.

Looking back, this could have been an attempt to off me. Sorry Esther, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 05:50:42 PM »
It's a nice table Esther. It's sort of like the one that I have my benchtop table saw and router table on. My potting bench is much bigger.

Like this big.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »
Very good Scott. I think I may cut some more off the legs. I don't know what I was thinking. also I need some cross support on the back like yours too I think.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 05:40:32 PM »
I built mine to handle this Florida weather. I also built it as a model. I plan to set up a webpage with that bench and a few other things on it to sell but only to people with in a certain distance from home.

Another item going up on that page is this:

And here it is with lotus and liner.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 04:16:40 AM »
Scott what are you using for the sides and bottom?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"