Author Topic: Strange Fish Behavior and other photos.  (Read 1894 times)

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
Strange Fish Behavior and other photos.
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:19:12 AM »
How long do goldfish live? We have our original first two goldfish for 10 years now.
The male has been feeling poorly all Spring and frequently takes long rests under a flat rock
jutting out in the middle of the pond. The strange thing is his mate often lays beside him
for long periods of time. o(:-) Isn't that touching and has anyone ever experienced anything
like that, true love in the fish pond? It's both sad and heart warming to see.

The female is on the left and the male on the right. She'll lay next to him for long periods of time.
After awhile he does come out and eat.

as long as I'm here...some other photos of small tourists...

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Fish Behavior and other photos.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:32:06 AM »
That is so touching, great pictures, your fish are absolutely fantastic :worship:
Celia

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
re: goldfish...stop, I'm getting misty! 

cute pics of the kids feeding the fish.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:55:54 AM »

Goldfish and koi can live a long time.  Esp. koi.  Don't ask me in years, though.  I'm sure someone here is more knoweldgeable.

I don't know about that particular behavior, but I do know that fish do do odd things.  Many of mine love to get right under the waterfall and point their heads / mouths up into the falling stream.  It's common, and the guy at the pond store said they are "playing."

But your fish's behavior doesn't seem like play (perhaps the water is cooler there, or it has movement that gives a gentle "massage"??), and it's rather odd that the long-time couple shares in the activity.  I know fish have some social interaction, and, after 10 years together, surely your fish have some kind of relationship or bond. 

Hopefully some phish psycologist / socologist will give a more full answer.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:28:52 AM »
Great pics Joann....
I have seen that behavior with my Fred and Ginger...they are always side by side when they rest at the bottom at night....in fact most of the time their lips are just inches away from touching when they rest....and last fall when we were giving them both shots and they were in the hospital tank....I had given Ginger her shot and was holding her upright in front of the powerhead bringing her back around from the clove oil....Fred got really irritated and started nudging my hand...I pushed him back...so he went on the other side of her and started nudging her with his nose....when she was able to stay upright-we got the net and pulled him....He was sooo agitated that we NEVER did get him to go completely under before giving him his shot...from then on-we had to leave him in the tank long enough for him to see that she was fine before we pulled him to give him his shots.....
 After seeing how these 2 fish are with each other....I totally believe in Fishy love  o(:-) o(:-).....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
Awwww, what a heartbreak story of fishy love.  The kids feeding the fish are just too cute.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:39:07 AM »
very neat stories of fish companionship Joann and Lawanna  (8:-)
Joey

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 01:13:48 PM »
THE PICS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND YOU HAVE GIVEN ME A GREAT IDEA ON THE LITTLE PIER......THE KOI ARE HUGE...AS FOR THE LOVEFISH IT IS SAD AND WONDERFUL AT THE SAME TIME...MY FEMALE AND MALE KOI WERE THAT WAY IN FACT THEY DIED TOGETHER ALSO....LORRAINE
lorraine

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 09:48:53 PM »
Your fish and pond are always amazing!   o(:-)  I love the pics of the small tourists too!   Some of MDBB's (my grandson) first words were "seed sishies."   ;D

Your "goldfish love" story is touching.  I didn't realize goldfish could get that attached to each other.  I hope they have a lot more years to live.   O0

Lawanna, that's an amazing story, too.  Why were you giving them shots? 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 02:48:07 AM »
Great stories and wonderful pix. Love the little cutties. Thanks for sharing.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »
 :'( Beautiful companions.  Your pond and garden is sooo beautiful...as always.  Visitors are lucky to see such beauty.
Great shots too  O0

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »
Awwwww.... o( o(  I love those stories.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 02:42:03 PM »
Hi Cliff or Joan :)

gold fish will live a long time. i bought 2 adult goldies over ten years ago and at that time the fish person told me that they were over 10 years old. that makes my goldie over 20 years old. they were bright orange when i brought them home in 1996,  one turned a pure white and the other is a ragged looking orange and white. I lost the female (white) last year to an unknown problem, and the male is still with me. he is around 20 inches long and very fat.

lou

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 05:45:15 PM »
I LOVE stories like that!!  My original goldfish are about 5 years old and around 7-8" long.  After being together for as long as that, they HAVE to have some kind of bond, don't you think?  So very touching, those stories Joann and Lawanna!  The animals that are under our care must surely love us and have tolerance for our feeble attempts to understand them and keep them well....and yet we think we are the "superior" species  lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 08:03:54 PM »
Beautiful as always!  I sure hope nothing is wrong.  Kind of reminds me of the movie which I cant remember the name of but the little boy buys two dogs and when the one dies the female lays on his grave and refuses to eat and she dies.. eww... tear jerkers for sure.

tinkster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"