Author Topic: European Zone map  (Read 1259 times)

Offline whis4ey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Fujiyama Japanese Garden
European Zone map
« on: July 14, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
Some of you may be interested in comparing European zones to those you know about in the States
This pic is copied from Peter Gregory's new book on Japanese maples (which is highly recommended) and is by courtesy of the copyright owner whose copyright is acknowedged

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: European Zone map
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:02:59 PM »
Do you have another graph that shows and explains different colored zones?  In otherwords is a zone 5 in Europe the same as zone 5 here? 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »
The orange has good pubs, but the yellow had fabulous sleazy bars.

For a translation, I think southern England is very much like Oregon, and then southern France is not unlike us in southern California. Spain too - talk about your Mediterranean climate!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 05:03:50 PM »
You're Right MikeW!  :D  The "Mediterranean" style is hot here.  That's hot in so many ways  ::)   

Offline whis4ey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Fujiyama Japanese Garden
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 01:38:00 AM »
I think zone 5 in US is meant to be the equivalent of zone 5 in Europe.  What would be the point otherwise :)
Don't forget that the zones refer to winter hardiness NOT the heat of the summers :)

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:57:39 AM »
Looks like a match to me then. With most of England, France and Spain being 8's and 9's, that would be akin to the West Coast here. No huge winter ice ages to speak of.

The West Coast has developed another, and better for us, zone guide - the Sunset Guide. For me, without any kind of winter freeze to worry about (normally), summer heat, and lack of humidity are of much more concern when gardening. Sunset factors this in.

I see Moscow is a positively balmy 5 in a sea of 4. Those early Czars must have been gardeners too when picking a spot for a city.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"