Author Topic: I learned something today.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I learned something today.
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:37:53 PM »
Several somethings for that matter.

A few days ago we discovered wild black raspberries growing on the side of our neighbor's property, lots of them. So we picked a few handsful and ate them. The next day I picked a lot more. Actually ate so many I didn't need any lunch. Yesterday we picked about three quarts. This container was heaped so high, they were falling off yesterday. HMMM, must be somebody has been eating them.  Today I took Smokey for a walk. Well that was the excuse to go over there and eat a bunch more.

OK the things I learned were:
1. Don't go raspberry picking barefoot. And not just because you get stains on your feet either. I now have a thorn in my foot but I can't find it because of the stains.
2. Don't go raspberry picking wearing white capris and a sleeveless blouse.
3. Don't go raspberry picking when you just returned from a breakfast buffet.

Tomorrow the grandkids are coming because Braeden starts Chemo again. We are going to go raspberry picking and then make jam. That should be fun and keep them occupied a bit.

Offline pondmary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/12/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I learned something today.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 05:35:58 PM »
 :D
I'll take your advice when our blackberries are ripe.
Eat a few more berries, take your mind off the thorn. ;)
Nice pic of your tootsies! lol

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 05:50:24 PM »
Now that your feet are stained you might as well stomp on some grapes and make black raspberry wine.... 8-)~
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »
When I saw the pic of your feet I thought you were going to let us in on some secret recipe in making jam  lol lol lol

Luck you to have found so many fresh berries  o(:-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »
What is the difference in a black raspberry and a blackberry? I know that when we get moved, I'm going to import some Alabama blackberry briars down to the new house. When we first moved down to Florida, we lived in Citrus county and I had found a patch of blackberries at the edge of the woods behind the house. The briars were small. When I had mucky water to toss out from the pond, I poured it around them. I managed to get enough berries for a blackberry cobbler and it was the best I had ever made. Uh, it was also the only one that I ever made.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »
i completely agree with your first two lessons esther, but not sure about the 3rd. i would suggest never to go berry picking on an empty stomach. eating nothing but berries  is a bit rough on the tummy and it's impossible to not eat 2 for every 3 you put in the bucket when you're hungry!!

ouch - your poor feet  :'(
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 06:46:46 PM »
When I saw the pic of your feet I thought you were going to let us in on some secret recipe in making jam
Black Raspberry Toe Jam.......... sorry

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »
EEEEEEsssshshhhhshsh  :D Thanks for the picture Mikey  lol lol lol

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 07:11:35 PM »
MIKEY, that was funny.  ;D

Blackberries have larger fruit and don't have a hollow center when picked. Well I suppose if the black raspberries are fertilized and watered well they might grow bigger than blackberries.

Reminds me of my mother telling of picking blackberries in the UP many years ago. She was in a highly wooded area and the blackberry bramble bush area was huge around and tall. She was picking with a friend and when she heard noises across from her, she assumed it was her friend. She walked around to compare their collections and saw a bear picking blackberries too. She slowly backed away, called to her friend to get out of there and that was the last of their berry picking for a while.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:25:50 PM by Esther »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »
 lol    lol    lol   at Esther, your poor feet!!  I bet you better watch that poison ivy too, they love growing up with the berries!   :o  

Scott, I'm not sure what the difference is between a black raspberry and a blackberry, BUT I think that the blackberry is quite a bit larger and the seeds are flat inside.  They have a slightly different taste too,,but still very yummy!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 08:25:09 PM »
 lol lol lol awww, your feet.  I couldn't help but laugh.  I bet that stays on your tootsies for days.  The foot with the thorn, can you take a rag with a little bleech and see if that will lighten the color up a bit and maybe you can find the thorn.  That's gotta hurt walking on it.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 08:36:37 PM »
ROFL!!! that reminded me of the I love lucky episode where she was in the big tank squishing grapes.

tinkster

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 10:02:53 PM »
I bought some blackberries a couple of weeks ago.  Got really excited cuz they were on sale for $5 for 8 ounces!
Here's my blueberry picking story.  Many moons ago I was visiting old boyfreinds family in Vermont.  They wanted to take me berry picking.  Sounds good...  I saw a bush just loaded with berries a little bit off the path we were on.  I good on down to pick my fill... but nobody follows me... I had to ask why they weren't coming on down, I thought they were just being lazy...  Never in my life have a moved faster then when they told me there were snakes down where I was!  Tall brush and all that.  Being raised in Hawaii, no snakes here, it never occured to me to think about snakes! 
End of story
Tammie

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 10:26:04 PM »
Those black raspberries look good, Esther.  We used to pick and can blackberries and dewberries when I was a child/teenager.  They were yummy, and my grandmother made the best blackberry cobbler in the world.  I'm not sure why hers were any better than my Mom's.  I think Grandma just baked more of them.   ;D

I'll bet your grandchildren are going to love going raspberry picking with you.   @O@

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 04:06:35 AM »
Looks like it is time for a pedicure.  {:-P;;

I pick my berries at the farm stands that spring up when they are ready.  :o

Oregon is a major berry growing state. They are fabulous. Local fast food chain features fresh berry lemonaid and milkshakes. To die for. I think I had about six strawberry lemonaids and have had one raspberry already and they just started. Fresh squeezed lemons too or at least the best frozen ever.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 05:00:39 AM »
 lol lol lol lol lol lol
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 05:46:03 AM »
I used bleach on the bottoms of my feet and then went after the thistle in my foot. It was evidently from a new bramble because it was white/transparent so never would have found it without digging around.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »
Ouch! I hope ya got it all?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 04:27:14 AM »
lol lol lol awww, your feet.  I couldn't help but laugh.  I bet that stays on your tootsies for days.

At least thank God you didn't sit down. I can just see you going to the doctor's office.

"Esther, has your husband been beating you?"

Way back when I was a wee wee boy my mom took me to the river. We call those blackberries down here and I found a whole bunch of them growing along the bank.

Here's lesson #4 coming from a former young boy.

Never, ever keep cramming them into your front jean pockets. I'm telling you it was a bumper crop and I must have jammed 3,000 balckberries into my front pockets not noticing or even caring about the stains.

I came out of the woods and I had jam in my pants. My Mother was a very understanding and forgiving soul thank God.

Loved the shot of those feet Esther

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 04:30:05 AM »
Mikey!   lol

Thanks for sharing those pics you brave woman, those blackberries look yummy!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 06:53:02 AM »
Black raspberries aren't cultivated as much as the red ones and I don't know why. Maybe because the red ones grow larger and better. My neighbor wants to dig these up and put them in the garden. But his house and yard are such a mess of unfinished jobs, I doubt he'll ever do it.

Gonna set Grandpa and the kids to picking when they get back. Then I'll add it to the first bunch and make jam this afternoon.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"