Author Topic: My One Good Pic - The Tadpole Tub  (Read 942 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My One Good Pic - The Tadpole Tub
« on: July 04, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »
The tub where my tadpoles live and grow.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My One Good Pic - The Tadpole Tub
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
Is that water hyacinth?  If it is  :o :o :o thems some big!!!

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
those are big water hyacinths! almost as big as Kim's got last year. but hers were in her skippy so it was almost logical they would grow bigger than normal.

i have wondered after seeing Kim's last year, if there are in fact different varieties of WH? i've never seen anyone differentiate them but different people certainly do seem to grow them so they look different than any i've experienced. :thinking:

Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:56:32 PM »
How cool to have a tadpole tub, I'd love to have some bullfrog poles for the granddaughters to play with and watch grow. 

I love watching water hyacinths grow on top of the water and below.  They have such interesting root systems.  I only bought 4 this year, I had the "mother load" of them last year, I bought too many and then they took off and Whoa!  I was giving them away and hauled some back to the swamp and left them there {:-P;;
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:19:33 PM »
Cute tad tub......and your WH look great.  thedahlialama is right I had some huge ones last year, yeah the skippy might make them get a little bigger but, I've had them in there before and they never got the way they were last year.  I haven't bought a single one this year...

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 10:38:41 AM »
Here's what I was told about water hyacinth....

They are "trash" plants and can survive in the most mucky, foul, stagnant conditions.  They're illegal here in Texas, because they get into the waterways and reproduce like crazy and clog everything up over acres and acres of water surface.

Because they live by filtering out the impurities from pond water, they won't generally do well in the average filtered and well-cared-for hobbiest's pond. 

I believe this may be true.  They will NOT thrive in my koi pond, even when I put them in a basket to keep their roots away from the fish.

But in those shallow, cramped tubs full of tadpole poop, which don't get cleaned too frequently (it's a real drag seperating the tadpoles from the muck on the bottom!), there the WH is going rampant.

Perhaps there ARE different varieties.... That could explain why some ponders do have WH doing well in thier ponds, but others of us have to stick it in old, nasty water.   

Same thing with water lettuce, BTW.  The ONLY place I have it growing is a tiny, shallow saucer meant to go under a flower pot.  It's crowded and very full of fallen leaves on the bottom.  The WL is huge, propegating like crazy, and a very nice green.  If I put some in any of my cleaner ponds or even the tadpole tubs, it yellows and wanes and eventually dies. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"