Author Topic: And you thought your roads were bad......  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
And you thought your roads were bad......
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:24:30 AM »
Russia

Bolivia

Highway of Death - Bolivia

Walkway in China
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: And you thought your roads were bad......
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:04:51 AM »
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!  Yikes, that Bolivian road especially looks too scary to even contemplate.  Just call me chicken...  emm

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
I love the blond posing on the truck in the background of the Russian one, and the guy without his pants.  I think I saw something about that road and it is only really passable when it is frozen.  Of course, that's 9 months out of the year :-\

You'd never get me on those last two, it's not always a good thing when a road gets named and Highway of Death doesn't sound good.  There's a highway in Mexico between Durango and Mazatlan called The Devil's Spine, also not good.  Those bicyclists are true sports masochists, I think you'd have to be nuts to ride a bike on a road like that with buses on it.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »
Oh no, you won't get me on those!

Independence Pass in Colorado is bad enough thank you. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:01:44 PM »
 :o Makes road rage sound childish  {:-P;;

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 01:49:14 PM »
I'll swear I have been on that Bolivian one. From Lake Titicaca on the Peru / Bolivia border we took a bus like that for some hours into La Paz. When you looked out the window, it was like looking out of an aeroplane - no road or anything visible. When the driver tossed out an old shock absorber, two of us thought the bus was coming apart, and I'll fess up to a small yelp, OK, a loud, big yelp, and then went and sat on the "landward" side of the bus.

It was all very "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and thouroughly enjoyable, once we knew we had lived.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 03:28:07 PM »
Yellowstone has some doozies. There are signs banning vehicles over a certain length to procede up the mountains.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Mike: The narrative attached to the bus photo said; "A fatal accident happens there every couple of weeks, 100-200 people perish there every year. In 1995 the Inter-American Development Bank named the La Paz-to-Coroico route "the world's most dangerous road." "

The narrative attached to the winding road photo above the bus photo said; "Bolivia's "Road of Death"
North Yungas Road is hands-down the most dangerous in the world for motorists. If the previous road is just impassable, this one clearly endangers your life. It runs in the Bolivian Andes, 70 km from La Paz to Coroico, and plunges down almost 3,600 meters in an orgy of extremely narrow hairpin curves and 800-meter abyss near-misses."

Is that the same road?

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 11:24:30 PM »
OMG!!! There's no way you would get me on those.    :o 

And how in the he** did they build that walkway in China???   Was there any information on how they did it? 

Offline MikeW

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 03:57:20 AM »
Same road, but north of La Paz. It is in the nosebleed section of the Andes. One has a constant dull headache, because the air is so thin. La Paz is the only city in the world where the poor live in the hills with the view, while the rich are on the valley floor - just because there is a little more air there. The Fire Dept. trucks have just sat and perished, as, try as one might, getting a fire going without air is virtually impossible.

La Paz airport, at 14,000 ft, is the world's highest. The runways are actually built on a slope to help the planes get airborne. On the flight out, the plane has pretty much empty tanks, to save on weight. You struggle into the air, grab a bloody mary, and then dive bomb / plunge down to Santa Cruz in central Bolivia, where there is air, so they can gas up and head for Miami. Good ol' American Airlines.

Our previous flight, in southern Peru, from Cuzco to Juliaca, in a very dodgy old 727, had been the white knuckle job though. Flying at 15,000 ft on a very short flight, we were zigzagging through the peaks of the Andes, looking at sheep at wing height. The only other tourist aboard was a Scotsman, and a pilot. He had sauntered into the cockpit for a visit (ah, security) and come back very concerned that the pilot spoke no English. My thought was that where we were, air traffic control probably spoke no English either, so that was a good thing.

Fascinating trip in all - Cuzco / Macchu Picchu, Lake Titcaca, and La Paz. Anybody looking for something besides a beach in Florida for their next vacation, this is trip you will always remember.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 03:10:39 PM »
  :o
I love the blond posing on the truck in the background of the Russian one, and the guy without his pants.

I didn't even notice that guy didn't have any pants onI would never attempt that one in China.  I'm no dare devil when it comes to something that looks like that.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »
I'm always amazed at how stupid some people are when they try to drive through a flooded area such as a low area beneath a bridge.  They can look at fixed items such as stop signs and other markers and pretty much gauge how deep the water is.  Even better; pull over and let some canary go in front of you.....  Sometimes there will be cars already flooded out in the water and people still think they can get through as if their Cooper is a Hummer....  ::)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"