Author Topic: Got HD TV today  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Got HD TV today
« on: September 07, 2006, 09:10:37 PM »
I won the TV last Christmas, but held off getting the extra HD satellite receiver for it.  Now that fall and winter is coming on again and now that they had a fairly decent package price I had them hook it all up today.

All I can say is WOW  :D

Regular TV on the bigger screen wasn't that great.  DVD was nice, but HD just blows them all out of the water.   I literally have to say that I can't believe the picture quality and this isn't even a top of the line HDTV.  It really shows off what that new TV was designed for.  Now I wish for even more HD programming!

The receiver has a built in PVR too.  I wasn't going to get that, but since I seldom have time to watch anything when it is actually on I figured I'd get the full meal deal and be done with it.  That will be sweet.  180 hours of SDTV, 25 hours of HDTV and it can record two other programs while playing one.  I think I know what I'll be doing all winter.   @O@   Good bye to that boring gym!

Bart

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Got HD TV today
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 06:14:26 AM »
I work with a guy who had HDTV and he tells me all the time how great the picture is.  Maybe some day I'll jump on the HD bandwagon. 
I have to ask though, what is SDTV?  Is that standard definition?
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline cfarm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:50:52 AM »
Bart, welcome to the HDTV world. Been a viewer since 2000 myself, though the content available back then was extreeeeemely thin.

Sounds like you have a cable PVR. Don't bank on the 25 hrs of HDTV capacity, not even on a good day.....downhill.....with a tail wind.  ;)

Once you've spent a little time watching, your eye will start to learn that not all HDTV is created equal and picture quality will still vary considerably from network to network. But if you're a sports fan, that's great timing for football season.

Enjoy.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 02:09:31 PM »
Yeah, SDTV - Standard.

If this is a cable PVR what are the other kinds?  This is an all in one unit with the sat receiver and the pvr built into one.

Even if it is 10 hrs of HDTV recording it's fine.  I don't expect to be keeping anything long term, just time shifting it. 

Bart

mascot

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:48:52 PM »
I know a guy who got HDTV a couple years ago.

I always told him he needed to wear protection, but he wouldn't listen.    ::)

Offline cfarm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »
Yeah, SDTV - Standard.

If this is a cable PVR what are the other kinds?  This is an all in one unit with the sat receiver and the pvr built into one.

Even if it is 10 hrs of HDTV recording it's fine.  I don't expect to be keeping anything long term, just time shifting it. 

Bart

Sounds like you have DISH or DirecTV. The PVRs are specific to the sat or cable providers. IOW, save for a couple of special cases, one box will not cross over to the others for recording purposes.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 08:50:24 AM »
It is ExpressVu which is a dish system here in Canada.  No cable provider where I live.  As I read more about this particular unit I'm quite impressed with it's capabilities.

I probably wouldn't have bothered with the HD at this time if the TV hadn't just landed on my lap as a freebie.  While there are more and more channels and programs all the time there is still a lot of TV shows that I watch that aren't being shot in HD to begin with.  I have noticed some programs that are labeled as HD, but clearly just shot regular and made to fit the wide screen later.  The clarity just isn't there.

Unfortunately, it does seem to be a never ending race with the technology.  My surround system could stand an update now too!

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"