Author Topic: Black dye  (Read 2154 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Black dye
« on: July 09, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
My pond in the greenhouse had weird surface algae. Not pea soup but a thin layer of green on the surface. I drained it and vacummed out some crud and refilled it and it came right back.

I bought black dye from Microbe-Lift and it killed it off right away. Hope it lasts.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Black dye
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
LeeAnne, Does the black dye have a chemical in it?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 05:22:37 PM »
Not any herbicide or poison.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »
Bonnie
By definition dye is a chemical and believe it or not water is a chemical.  In fact there is a prestigous award called the Perkin Medal that was founded on a Mauve dye (Perkin's), which is given annually to high powered chemists.  Pehaps it would be better to ask are there any toxic chemicals, but again this is relative statement with no basis.  For example did you know the bean sprouts in a vegemite sandwich has more carcinogens than a burger on the grill coated with benzopyrene!  While there are true hazards with the wrongful use of chemicals they are not bad things, but rather the abuse or improper use are harmful.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I hate it when one refers to chemicals in a negative connotation, in fact your cultured stone, or Corian counters are based on chemicals! Glass has a chemical composition as does everyhting in this world!  Look around you and everything in your house, car and environment has some chemical composition. :)

Gary

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:11:30 PM »
"Better living through Chemistry"  I think that was the Dupont slogan.  Close for sure.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:59:49 PM »
Jerry:

You have the quote of my neighbor to the south. O0

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 07:13:59 PM »
Okay Gary.. is my spanking over?? :boxing: ;)

I guess what I should have asked was.. does the black dye have extra chemicals in it which kill the algae?

Many years ago I used the blue dye and it was dye only to shade the water.  Changed the water an uglier green than it already was! :-\

Some pond additives will list they are fish safe but in return you hear many horror stories about fish dying after using it.
So, I try to stay away from using any unknown chemicals in the lilypond due to the fact that I have a few goldies in there.....

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »
Bonnie:

No spanking involved :hug:, but obviously a pet peeve of mine, being a chemist and all. 

The dyes affect liight absorption in the pond thus preventing algae growth.  I have been using black dye for over 25 years since I built the first octagon pond for Victoria lilies at Miami Orchids that morphed into Miami Orchids & Water lilies.  I really like it because it sets off the lilies better for photos and I view the decrease of algae as a benefit.  I know a lot of people use blue, but aesthically I'm not thrilled with it.

o(:-)

Gary

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »
coolshades... I have always wanted to know a chemist so I could ask one question... can you take like food and tell whats in it.... if so I would gladly pay anything almost to know what is in big mac sauce :)

tinkster

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
Hey Tink:

Like for sure its the special sauce on the sesame bun lol... seriously there is a lot of science in food and perfume chemistry.  One can break down complex mixtrues and identify the "special sauce" I used to think it was alchemy until i met some people who work in the field.

Gary

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:08:41 PM »
I wanted to use black dye in our large pond this year, but Pete was concerned it would dye the fake rock around the edge and in the waterfall so have decided not to try it. Would that be a problem? Also does the dye help warm the water or cool it. It would be nice to get the water temp up a bit more for the tropicals.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 08:10:02 PM »
 lol too funny!
Tink don't go eating too many of those, the fat and calorie content is unreal!

Gary I know, I know.. you chemists have to straighten us out occasionally! :-\

I might try the black, I just assumed it was gawd awful like the blue.

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 08:17:59 PM »
Hey Maryvonne:

Depends if you are using solid dye or prediluted.  I just finished a 1 pound bag of solid dye after 10 years of use!  This stuff will stain anything that it comes in contact with...yes I've had black hands for a week or so!!!.  I usually predilute the solid in a 5 gallon bucket - no more than a tablespoon to treat 2500 gallons.  Once its diluted there really is no danger in stainning that I have come across.

Yes this helps heat oup the pond by a few degrees F.

Gary

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »
Hughes Watergardens uses it in their greenhouse ponds for Tropicals and Victorias (among other ponds). It looks nice, increases the relective properties of the surface of the water and there are a few fishies and tadpoles in there doing just fine.

I bought a 16oz bottle (and paid way too much for it there) but all I used was a small squirt into a bucket then filled up the bucket and poured it into the greenhouse pond. I do have a stain under my fingernail where I pulled the foil wrapper off the top of the bottle but no discoloration on the waterlilies or pots or my hand when I stick it in. As concentrated as it is, I bet it will last for years. I can still see little water bugs swimming around but there are no fish in there.

I think I will use it in the pond with the bubbling columns too.

Something about them makes me sick when I eat them but I do love the special sauce on the Big Macs. It has been years though.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 10:19:08 PM »
Thanks Gary and LeeAnne for your answers. I will try it next year in the greenhouse tubs first. I was especially interested in trying it with the Victorias. A few degrees would make a big difference to them. My seedlings failed again this year. Not sure why but I couldn't get them past that difficult juvenile stage. I still have seed left though so will try again next winter.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:41 PM »
Here you go Tinkster, make it at home!

McDonalds Secret Sauce recipe

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 04:56:52 AM »
Oh, I want the recipe for Outback Steakhouse Mustard sauce for the Alice Springs chicken!

AND the Mustard Lime sauce at Bahama Breeze Sauce for the onion rings!!

MMMMMMMMMMM
Kathy

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 04:39:55 PM »
Sounds like too many of you out there go to chain restaurants!!!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »
lol thanks for the recipe!  I might have to blame you if its good and I gain weight :)

tinkster

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 07:25:52 PM »
I haven't tried it but let me know what you think, I may have to make some if it is really good.  Did you see where in the comments someone said it was more authentic tasting if you used reconstituted onions instead of fresh?  Yea, too much time at fast food restaurants.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 07:44:15 AM »
The algae has not come back  O0 I'm very pleased with the black dye.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"