Author Topic: Pond life!  (Read 704 times)

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond life!
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:21:43 AM »
Well the first batch of Tadpoles are getting pretty good size. Starting to see legs in the back. O0   Mortality rate seems high, looks like maybe out of hundreds of tadpoles - I see maybe 20-30 are left and growing fast.
There is a new batch of Tadpoles - different looking than the first ones. These are really small, not much bigger than the lead of a pencil !!!!! O0

When the pond lights are on in the evening, I see what I belive are Dragonfly larva/nymphs swimming arround in the light!!  I know they are too big to be mosquitos - so I assume thats what they are!!!  And the ones I find on the skimmer mats look like they will be dragonflys!!

I also just bought 6 shubunkins!!  They are tiny still about 1 1/2 inches long.  Its cute watching them swim in a school behind the big guys(koi).  At least these seem to be Friendly! They know I am FOOD!!!  My Koi wont come out till I am gone, but they are ready and willing!!!

One of my Koi seems to not like the Daytime- I only see it in the evenings just before dark.  It is a 6in Orange Koi. I am wondering if it just dont like the Summer Sun here in Northeast Texas.  When we were having all those cloudy rainy days it was fine - now that it is Sunny and Hot he dissapears, I mean you cant even find him anywhere.  I dont know where he hides, but I cant find the spot!!!  o(  The other 2 Koi seem fine, they are white/black and orange/black.  My pond does have some shady areas all day, so the pond is not always fully covered in direct sunlight.

Also when I checked my water the other day - which tested normal!!! :)   The cup of water was swimming with little tiny things!! It was swimming so much I decided to dump the water and get it coming out of the waterfall which was better for testing!!
 I need to find someone with a microscope!!!  I am just so curious!!!!

Well thats my pond rambling for the day!!!!

Lori TX

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond life!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:08:49 AM »
Wow you have alot going on! That is alot of tadpoles! I think the 2 of the three I bought are now baby frogs. I caught 2 small jumpers out of the corner of my eye yesterday.
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond life!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »
How long have you had the other Koi that keep hiding?  They'll eventually get where they come to see you.

Mine follow me around all over the place, tap my foot on the deck and they know its feeding time.    I bet that's cute your 6 shubunkins following your koi.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"