Author Topic: How Do You Catch Fish? - Please Read New Question Below  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How Do You Catch Fish? - Please Read New Question Below
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:19:20 AM »

OK, after reading recent threads, I am duely ashamed and scared of my over-crowded pond.  I do have a few fish I would be willing to part with - meaning, moving them out of the koi pond and over to the turtle pond.  Maybe give a few away on Freecycle.com.

But HOW to go about catching the particular fish??  I sure don't want to drain the entire pond - too much stress on the fish.

What do you guys do when you need to net one certain fish?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 05:26:50 AM by Julles »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Catch Fish Out of Your Pond?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »
I use a lot of luck and sneaky tactics  :D

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »
If it's just one certain one I throw some food in, keep the net out of sight then when he's at the right spot. Wham!!! And better hope you catch it the first time cause if you don't this tactic doesn't work again.  lol

Chase the little guy trying to get it to the top of the water. Easier to catch up there.

Good Luck !

Offline Shep

• Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »
I recently relocated ours and found this to be true in my case..... the bigger the fish, the easier to catch. I found that the drag of the net through the water limited my snatching ability so if I wasn't able to snatch him in the first 6 to 12 inches of movement in the water then the fish was gone.

After about a dozen fish the best tactic for me was to cut off the angles of the fish escape areas from a distance and then to slowly move in continuing to react to his movement and continuing to cover the angles from which he can escape.... fish moves... net moves to reduce angles of escape.... fish moves.... net moves to reduce angles of escape.... eventually the fish will make a mistake and he can be easily netted with no harm to fish or fisherman.

Good luck and happy fishing :)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 03:57:07 PM »
We didn't have much luck until we drained the pond. They are alot smarter than I gave them credit for and FAST as Lightning!! With all the pots and what not in there, It just wasn't going to happen.
Kathy

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 05:40:14 PM »
I use a minnow trap with some success.  but mostly drain :)

tinkster

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »
Jules,
PLEASE know that I am not picking on you and don't take this personal.. you may not know better but koi should NOT be in a pond as small as your pond, especially 30 Koi Plus Who knows how many goldies! :'(

Even this being a temporary situation, you are Way overstocked and this can result to fish disease, death, etc.

Koi are not colored goldfish, their requirements are much different than goldies and will grow big.   

If  you have to drain the pond to remove your koi, that will be less stress for them in the long run vs. keeping them in your small pond.

Do you have any family members or friends that can help you catch them?

Good luck,
Bonnie

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:53:03 PM »
A heron ate my Koi and I am happy not having any.  The one remaining I caught and gave to a ponder.  I used a Cherrio on a barbless hook,  Just dangled it in front of his nose, he showed no interest, I wiggeled it and BAM he was hooked.  He made a 30 mile trip to his new home and is living happily o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 11:20:49 PM »
Put a little fish food in your net and then place it in the water. If you hold it as still as you can you may have some success catching them this way. Works for us most of the time.
Good luck.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 05:25:52 AM »
But what KIND of net?  I read here in another thread that someone mentioned a sein.  Perhaps something from Academy or WalMart?  I just know that my little bitty 6" net from the pet shop isn't going to cut it.

And I don't feel picked on at all - I feel like I've been woken up and become educated.  That's what this site is for, right?  Oh, and sharing pictures!   :)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Catch Fish? - Please Read New Question Below
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 05:54:35 AM »
Jules last time that I was at Lowes they had some nice nets around the pond equipment.  I already have a couple so I didn't look at them or the price but I believe they were approx. 14" wide with a decent size handle.

Also do you have a swimming pool?  If so you can use a swimming pool net due to the fact that your fish aren't large and require a deep net.

Good luck and good for you! :)

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »
... The one remaining I caught and gave to a ponder.  I used a Cherrio on a barbless hook,  Just dangled it in front of his nose, he showed no interest, I wiggeled it and BAM he was hooked... o(:-)
;D ;D ;D

using the skills you know, eh Jerry!! i can just imagine what some people would think of that approach. definitely gives a whole new meaning to the catch and release program!!  lol (ok, i have this picture in my mind of you by your pond with your big ocean rig stalking this lone koi like it was Hemmingway's marlin!!  :o  ::) )

Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 06:40:21 PM »
Julles,

The biggest problem with catching the fish is seeing them and having the access (unhindered by all kinds of plants). My big 3500-4000 gallon ponds need a seine net just to round them up, to be individually caught.

Sounds like your pond is much smaller. So let me take a stab at this suggestion. You want a net that is smooth and not rough. Black is better than white, less noticeable to the fish.

Now, for the most part, I just use a: 16 x 16, 1/4 mesh, with a 36 handle (but you could get a 60 handle)
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/3264/cid/929

They make nice koi nets: Here are some Smart nets that fit a pool cleaning handle.
http://www.pondpetsusa.com/koi_nets/index.html
You need to make sure that the net you get has a good handle that is strong. Nothing less than 1" diameter.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 06:19:58 PM »
My fish get a lot slower right after they eat, so maybe feed them a bunch and catch them while they are digesting?

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »
Ed, that's too funny!

I haven't had any luck catching mine. I had to drain the entire thing.
Kathy

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 11:07:22 PM »
They make nice koi nets: Here are some Smart nets that fit a pool cleaning handle.
http://www.pondpetsusa.com/koi_nets/index.html
You need to make sure that the net you get has a good handle that is strong. Nothing less than 1" diameter.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jeff

Use a wooden handle on a net like that.  Less drag in the water as it tends to want to float rather than sink.  It is also a much easier net to move through the water.  Use a big bowl or tub to float them into using the net rather than picking the fish up with the net.  Best to pick up the fish with a sock net, especially if they are bigger.

I have a 13000 gallon pond and there is no way I could walk over with a net and catch fish  lol

I have a seine net that I use.  I ziptied some floaties on the top (swimming noodles) and lead weights on the bottom edge.  Works best if there is 2 people, but I have done it before alone.  I herd the fish to one end (a few usually get under, but most not) and catch who I want.  I've had to seine the pond a few times if I'm trying to catch the little guys.  They are fast!

Mary
Mary

Offline jools

• Members
  • With us since: 18/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 11:25:44 PM »
I use a big pan net to net mine ..one thing to try is leave the net in the pond overnight the fish do get used to it and are not scared by it the next day I have seen fish just sat in them next morning.....
jools

Offline Ruthie

• Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 12:06:02 AM »
I was thinking about this post today.  I was using a skimmer net to get leaves and honest to goodness...  I think I caught each and every one of my fish at some point in the cleaning.  They swam right into the net!  Whole groups of them at one time.

When I released some mosquito fish into the pond (caught from my father's bass pond) I did not know I had a blue gill fry hitch hiker.  Now she is about 5 inches long and needs to go back to the bass pond.  Of course, she wasn't one of the fish who waltzed into the net.  o(  I am having all kinds of trouble catching her.

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 03:07:25 AM »
I have gone out at night with a flashlight.  At night they don't usually see you coming.  Also a good time is fall when the water is colder and the fish are slower.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"