Author Topic: Something tried to get into the pond last night  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Something tried to get into the pond last night
« on: August 03, 2007, 01:22:48 PM »
We had the pond a total of about one month when I had a week long invasion from snakes and marsh birds.   The birds turned out to be Least Bitterns....they got my cute little Sarasa comet and my baby tancho koi.

I bought one of those predator nets.  I have caught a whole bunch of water snakes trying to get into the pond (they get on top of the net and cannot dive.) We actually caught and relocated about ten snakes in less than a week. I have gotten really good at catching snakes.

One of the watersnakes we caught.

We had one bird attempt to get through the net. The net held and the bird flew off as we approached.

So anyway.   I set up the main pond fountain yesterday.  Nothing spectacular...just a little bell fountain.  My uncle is an electrician and he just installed some more outlets out by the pond for me (yay!) so now I can run all the fountains and pumps.  I had it all set up yesterday afternoon.

This morning, it looked like a tornado went through the pond.  The two main pumps  were knocked off their supports, plants were knocked over.  But the net was still mostly in place.  It was so strange.

Before my cup of coffee, I was wading around in the pond.  The prefilter was missing from both pumps, hoses were undone.  I fished all that out from the pond bottom.  I uprooted the hornwort untangling it all. >:(  This afternoon as I put the plants back in place, I found bird feathers in the pond.  I am thinking maybe the bird got tangled...or maybe the bird panicked at the sight of three large dogs...or maybe an overly excited pooch tried to get in to catch the bird.

But...I gotta praise that little net.   I have it about a foot above the water's surface, anchored with rocks all along the edge.  It was moved and definitely sagging into the pond...but none of my fish are missing! @O@

some of our goldies and our favorite piggy...Cow Koi  o(:-)

(edited for a typo)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 02:21:39 PM by Ruthie »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Something tried to get into the pond last night
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:08:07 PM »
Tornados that are confined to one's pond are usually raccoons. Amazing the mess they can make.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »
Cute cow Koi. I have one I call Cow. LOL

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 04:40:25 PM »
Those are really cute fish .... love to see a pic of the pond.... and a really ugly snake.. when I saw you are in Louisiana I had to look at the snake again as I am in Louisiana but I am in the North east corner ... I was in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago for a training workshop.. had lots of fun .. talked with just a couple of people about ponding.. some one told me people had more problems wth snakes there ...  :P  I will try not to think about that pic next time I walk in the pond

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
I'm not afraid of snakes...as long as they stay away from me.  {:-P;; :D ;D

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 12:35:47 AM »
Cute goldies, and nice cow koi.  I have one of those too. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
we are down south of New Orleans.  We live quite literally in the middle of the swamp.  I am usually casual about snakes, though I got pretty upset at the thought of them eating my fish.  The good thing about snakes is that they really don't want to be around human beings, so now that we inhabit the garden, they have pretty much stayed away.  The place where we put the pond was an overgrown area that I cleaned up, so like my hubby reminded me, I invaded their habitat and installed a sushi bar ;D 

I'll post some pond pictures soon...right now it looks like a muddy mess.  We have been having a very wet summer and the only plants that really look vigorous are things like bind weed and nutsedge.  (The banana tree is growing about a foot a day though. ;))  But everything around the pond is liquifying in the heat and humidity.  Everyone's ponds here are so gorgeous, I would be embarrassed to post a picture of mine right now. 

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 03:23:26 PM »
Can you post a picture of that net?  I'm curious.  Perhaps start a new thread... so people don't miss it if they don't check back here.

Also, how do you keep snakes from wiggling under the net, at the water's edges? 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"