Author Topic: Hornwort Disappearing  (Read 718 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hornwort Disappearing
« on: July 22, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
For years, I've had to regularly buy hornwort for my pond.  But not for a long time... For all winter and spring, the hornwort in my pond has been growing like CRAZY.  It totally covered the surface of the pond, several inches thick, and kept replacing itself whenever I cleaned some out.

Now, as of last week, it's been disappearing.  I don't think there's a problem... I just think it doesn't last well in the summer.

Ahh... and excuse for a trip out to the pond store.   :D

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Hornwort Disappearing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:31:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your plants disappearing but glad you get to make a trip to pond store. ;D I dont know if you have any koi probably not. I know I cant keep any hornwort in my pond. Koi must think it is salad and eat it faster then I can throw it in ! :D
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:59:45 AM »
My goldfish eat it too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
One reason I buy hornwort and not something like anachras (sp?) is because, supposedly, it's one thing the fish do NOT eat.  At least not a readily.

But I'll bet you're on to something... perhaps with the weather, length of daylight, etc., they are eating greenery more.  Maybe time for shredded carrots, citrus, etc.

One good thing...I can actually SEE my fish now, without all that cover.   :)  Of course, so can the raccoons and heron.   :'(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"