Author Topic: Snail Plug  (Read 632 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Snail Plug
« on: July 22, 2007, 08:01:32 PM »
I've been having problems with my pond pump to my bio filter.  Low flow/ turnover and ugly green water happened this year.  I finally bought a new more powerful pump so that I can have a stronger fuller waterfall.  Since I was going to change to the new pump I figured I'd do a thorough cleaning of the filter pads and brushes. 
When I opened the lid of the bio filter I noticed  :o lots of snails around the inlet elbow fitting.  Lo and behold the elbow was jammed solid with so many different sizes of pond snails!  It was difficult to push them out of the fitting without crushing them - fish liked em though!  There were so many!! 
Out of curiosity I just hooked up the old pump back to the box, turned it on....I got my old full flowing waterfall and fountain spray back to like-new!  @O@ I have an extra pump now....maybe a new pond for my lilies......

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snail Plug
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 08:05:49 PM »
I have a bog filter now, which I LOVE.  But when I had a bio filter (for several years), I cleaned it every Sunday morning.  Hosed off the two "foam" filters, and flushed the tubing and etc. 

I've had TADPOLES get caught in the filter, but never snails. 

Sounds like when they sell you on "maintenance-free," it's not entirely true.

Plus, who'da thought that snails would love the environment and stay in there and ... make whoopy?  !?!?!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snail Plug
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »
Normally I don't do much with my bio filter besides pull the plug to drain the junk on the bottom once or twice a year.  I didn't check to see if there were any other inhabitants inside...yyyucccyyy!  Water is cleaner and I can see my fishies better!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"