Author Topic: PUMP WENT OUT..I THINK  (Read 1055 times)

Offline SA PONDER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
PUMP WENT OUT..I THINK
« on: July 23, 2007, 05:40:26 PM »
my pump just quit working...all it does it make a humming sound..any hints on what to do and how long can my koi go with aeration. i have about a 1200 gal. pond with 6 koi. :(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: PUMP WENT OUT..I THINK
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:05:41 PM »
Did you unplug and check it out?  I don't know much about pumps but check & see if something got stuck.

I think your koi (not too big I hope) will be alright over night with out the pump but you need to find a new one tomorrow for sure.  If the pond is in a sunny location make shade over it.

I have a back up pump for just in case - it can replace the one I have going now and then I'll have to get another replacement pump.  After things go back to normal you should invest in a backup.

Offline LuvMyFish

• Members
  • With us since: 22/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:13:45 PM »
Can we get a little more info about what kind of pump you have?

You should be OK for a few days with only 6 koi in the pond. If for some reason the start gasping for air, add some hydrogen peroxide. This will help a lot. Everyone should always have some hydrogen peroxide sitting around for issues like this. It sure can save your fish.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:20:09 PM by LuvMyFish »

Offline shortcake

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 06:17:42 PM »
 Most pumps  have a removal cover to access the impeller. Check if the impeller  turns free and is free of trash and derbies.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »
Just like the others have said.  Your impeller might just be clogged up.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:21:52 PM »
Yes, definitely pull the shroud off and check for rocks (etc) in the impeller. Remove any debris and try to start the pump again.

How big are the Koi??? That could be a real problem if you've got big Koi...  :-\
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline jools

• Members
  • With us since: 18/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 02:21:36 AM »
is it an air pump  because you mention airation if so it might just be a split diaphragm..if its a diaphragm pump of course
jools

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »
Besides cleaning it, sometimes just breaking the electricity for a moment, and also SMACKING the pump will get working again.

My fish are NOT happy very long at ALL without aeration.  I've read here the suggestion of keeping a back-up pump, maybe not big enough to run the filter, but big enough to get water splashing and moving.

In the meantime, I would go out there every now and then and scoop up buckets of water and splash them back into the pond, to try to get oxygen down into the water. 

Do it beFORE the fish start gasping for air.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"