Author Topic: My cat attacked the fish  (Read 1695 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
My cat attacked the fish
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:02:04 PM »
 :-\ I could not believe it.  I was in the house, at my computer, looking out at the pond.  I saw one of the cat at the side of the pond where I feed the fish.  She was waching the fish.  I did not think to much of it.  Then she jump at some thing.  I watched a mintue or two more.  Thought she was trying to get a frog.  She keep pawing and sticking her face into a creave in the rock.  I went to look at what she was doing, thinking the frog had already gotten away. I saw her chasing a frog once and was so excited when the frog jumped into the pond she jumped in the pond right behind him.  She was not very happy about this.  When I got to the rock where she was still pawing there was a FISH up on the rock.  The fish was still alive and I grabed  it and it slipped into the water.  I could not believe she had swatted the fish up on the rocks.  I thought the fish were safe as my cat does not have any claws on her front paws.  Now what can I do  :P?? to keep the fish safe.

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My cat attacked the fish
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:18:25 PM »
might have to get one of those critter scarer things that is motion activated.....We had an ol' momma cat show up one time....of course at the time we only had bait shop goldies...but, she had every last one fished out before she decided to go on up the road and find a new home.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:20:02 PM »
lol that is to cute!  I also have the same problem with my small doxie.. he is always on the sides of my pond fishing.  He usues his teeth and pulls them out of the water so far he is to afraid to do anything after he snaps at them and they usually flounder back into the pond.

Tinkster

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 08:21:58 PM »
I guess I have been in denial... I just knew she could not, would not get the fish as she does not have any claws .... I thought the fish would surely be quicker than she would be  >:(

Myra

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:33:31 AM »
Oh my she has no claws and was still able to catch one.....you really have to give her an E for effort.....
Lawanna

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:23:22 AM »
Maybe the fish jumped onto the rock, and the cat was reacting to the squirming.

That would have made a cute picture.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
Evidence to why I have a dog that I let chase cats. When we get a house of our own, if I spot a cat, I will set a trap and take it to it's new home, THE POUND!

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 05:36:42 AM »
a cat with no claws has no defense against predators such as dogs. i don't mean to preach, but claw less cats should not be outside.

louis

Offline small fish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 07:23:56 AM »
There is truth to that.  I do have a privatcy fence around the yard.  She is out there now. I can see her  happyly chasing frogs and butterflies.  When I make her stay in the house, she gets mad at me and poops in the oddest places.   :)

Lawanna, I agreed, I was amazed that she could just swat at the fish and knock it out of the water.  She is a very interesting cat.  I only have goldfish in that pond.  In the other pond is were I have goldfish, fancy goldfish and Koi.  I feed them off the end of the pier.  So I believe it would be much more diffcult for her to get to those fish.

Myra
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 07:29:47 AM by small fish »

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 09:18:11 AM »
Myra,
We have one that has been an inside kitten for 13 years....one day she got tired of the dogs harrassing her and she ran out....we tried and tried to catch her for months...when we finally did - it was because I caught her asleep and nabbed her...brought her in and out the door she ran again....now we just let her come in and out as she pleases...and since she knows she can- she will come up to us when we are outside....they are very smart...and know exactly how to get their way.......
Lawanna

Offline Hermit_Canada

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 08:28:14 PM »
You could try a water scare-crow ... I hear it works.
I was starting to have cat problems ... and lost several goldfish to them.
I put a row of boat bumpers around the edge of the pond ... and haven't lost a fish since.  The bumpers make it impossible for the cat to find footing that would enable it to catch a fish ... and gives the fish time to escape.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"