Author Topic: What to do with this pond. . . ?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What to do with this pond. . . ?
« on: August 02, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »
This is a pond that the landscaper built. It was supposed to be the only pond in the yard, but due to us getting married in the middle of him doing the construction and him not listening to what I wanted and how Koi need it, he built it completely wrong and it's WAY too small.  Only 300-400 gallons instead of the 2000 it was supposed to be!  As you can see it's pretty permanent, but I hate it right now.  I've decided I'm going to turn it into a turtle pond. 

I want to plan some plants on the side that fit with the aquatic plants that will be in the pond.  I'm thinking, I'll put some taro up against the walls, I would really like some canna's and also som day lillies.  Does anyone that knows more about plants than me (which isn't saying much) have ideas for what could go in it? 

It's got a rim around the inside of it about 12" deep, well it's 12" when it's full, but due to all the splashing after about 3 days, it can be about 1" deep, so it needs to be a plant that doesn't have to be submerged all the time. 

The lillies that are in there now will be going into the new pond that my husband is building.  They came out of my pond that is at the house I still own.  Where all my koi are still.  I was experimenting with them in this one, but they are going back to the other one.  The waterfall creates too much of a splash and pushes them around too much. 

Thanks!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with this pond. . . ?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:51:12 AM »
Welcome Holldoll!

Even though the pond is too small for what you want to do with it there are lots of possibilities to make it an attractive site.
It is attractive structurally but visually it needs plants to fill in the blank wall, unless you dress up the wall behind the pond with stonework or tile. 

I like a wall of horsetail rush or small bamboo (beware - both very fast invasive spread growth depending on variety) in the planter or in pots behind the waterfall.  The plants you mentioned sound good too.  It all depends on the mood you want to create.  It's all personal preference. 

You mention turtle pond...Turtles can climb their way out of many ponds unless the sides of the pond are straight verticals and there is nothing like plants that will assist them in climbing out.  They need a small area, preferably in the middle of the pond to climb out of the water to sun.

You should find lots of great help here.  Have fun!

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »
Thank you! 
I went to the pond store last night and picked up some plants.  Here's what I did with them last night, but I think I need to move them around. Any suggestions will help!

I think that I'm going to put a skippy on the left side of the pond with a waterfall going into it from the left.  The waterfall that is in there now, makes too much splashing and the water runs out too fast. 

When you plant plants in a skippy do you put them in pots still? 

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
I feel your pain!  It's a beautiful water feature but it sure isn't a koi pond!!

Think about putting in a bog instead of a skippy, especially since you don't plan to put the koi in it.  If you made the back of the pond where the rocks are now into a bog and pumped part of the water into the bottom of it and let it overflow into the pond.  #1, it would keep the pond clear #2 you could plant some of the tall plants you're talking about, canna and taro types, in the bog and they would give a nice height feature to the wall.  Also, if you can get to the plumbing and add a splitter, turn the current waterfall into a box bog and plant a trailing vine like an ornamental potato, mint, or philodendrun.  Turn the water down to the high box and let a little water well up from the bottom and drip down the vines to the bog below. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"