Author Topic: Tourism LA ?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Krista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tourism LA ?
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:11:27 PM »
Ok, if I don't want to drive, is it possible to get from Disneyland to Santa Monica pier without taking a 3 hour city bus ride?

We arrive December 25th and leave January 1st if anyone wants to meet up :) and are staying near Disneyland
Mom of twins, knitting nut, and want to get back into water gardening.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Re: Tourism LA ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 08:15:53 PM »
Helicopter?   It's a long ways, even without bad traffic it is a several hour drive.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:31:24 PM »
I live 20 minutes south of Disneyland (California terminology for distance) on Interstate 5.  I don't know how long it would take from there to Santa Monica pier but it shouldn't take more than an hour drive sans bad traffic on Interstate 405.  It takes me an hour to get there from Irvine with weekday morning traffic. 

You can also rent cars pretty cheaply.  The roads are easy to read and if you mind your own business you should be fine driving around SoCal. :D

Give us a reminder just before you come.  If I can get away from family obligations (I'll try real hard  ;) O0) it would be nice to meet a Ponder from the north side  8)

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:54:09 PM »
I don't mind driving in LA, but there is 10 of us so renting a car is a pita. Plus then I have to bring or rent car seats down there for the twins. So I would much rather train or bus it. I was hoping there was some kind of train or shuttle that would take us there. I really enjoyed it last time I was there almost 4 years ago. Wow, hard to believe it was that long ago!

I did find an aquarium in Long Beach that looks like it would be fun too for the twins. They are the only kids.

My parents are taking me and my three syblings and our spouses and my kid (only grandchildren right now) to Disneyland for a week to celebrate their 60th birthdays this year instead of us planning a surprise party like I did for their 50th's...lol. I still think my mom is in shock from her party. lol

I'm into meeting up either with dh and kids or without :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 08:25:45 AM »
I'll ask around but it will be difficult since everybody here drives their own car.  There are 10 passenger vans too.

I'll get back to you. 8)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 09:32:37 AM »
Hi Krista: I hope Anette comes up with something. Transportation here is not good.
Having 10 of you is a problem as well. Dividing a limousine among 10 might not be so bad?  yes, i know, the twins have no money!
lets hope we can figure something out.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 12:33:38 PM »
We live close enough to Disneyland to frequently hear the fireworks at 9:35pm.....  I hope I get to visit with you but as yet we are not sure of our travel plans at that time.  The fetching one is talking about visiting our grand baby up in Oregon about the same time but I'm thinking we'll be broke from our trip to Israel in November....

Public transportation in the southland sucks big time.  Quite frankly the bus system is primarily used by illegals.  I'm not sure of how many transfers it would take to get to Santa Monica.  I've never used the bus system.  I know of no rail system from Anaheim to Santa Monica.  I looked at the Metro Rail site and I didn't see Santa Monica even listed.  The 405 freeway is horrible in the Santa Monica area due to construction and heavy traffic.  If you did manage to drive during non-peak hours, from Anaheim I estimate it will take roughly 1 hour......longer if there is an accident or peak traffic hours.  Try to leave about 9:30am and try to leave from Santa Monica absolutely no later than 2:30pm

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »
like Mike, we hope we see you.
Another thought, maybe you can rent a big van?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Krista

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 08:55:19 PM »
thanks guys.. I think we'll skip it this trip as a mass family. We only have a week down there but I did find some neat stuff closer to where we are staying. Shane and I keep talking about driving down one of these years so next time we'll do that with the trailer :)  We are also considering going to San Diego by train and hitting the zoo but it looks like a decent zoo in LA exists too so maybe we'll do that.  My mother would be happy if we never left Disneyland since she loves it!

Lets definately make some plans closer to the time :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 10:08:35 PM »
Like Mike said.  It's difficult to move so many people around (I've done it too many times).

Since you can take the train south from Anaheim you can make a stopover in San Juan Capistrano (check out the Mission & small town) and San Clemente where the train literally drops you off at the beach - beautiful beach and pier.

In San Diego you can go to the Zoo, Sea World, or Wild Animal Park.  I personally don't care for LA's Zoo.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 10:24:32 PM »
Anette is right, the LA Zoo can't compare to the San Diego one.
 The Long Beach Aquarium is OK, nothing like Monterey, but OK, especially for kids.

I didn't like the fact that they had so many videos.  if you need a video, you can do that at home.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 08:18:48 AM »
The San Diego Zoo is one of the top zoos in the world. Should not be missed if you are at all interested. It is also a tropical botanical garden. There are waterfalls! Balboa Park next door is full of awesome museums and a lath house conservatory. Can easily spend an entire day at both. Sea World is fabulous too. I've been to both in December, really nice weather.

Disneyland decorates top to bottom for Christmas, it is soooo wonderful. Imagine 10,000 poinsettias out in the flower beds. And twinkle lights everywhere. They even change stuff inside some of the rides. Not to be missed.

I enjoyed the Long Beach Aquarium but no comparison to Sea World. They also decorate for Christmas.

I would love to join you but having trouble talking DH into it.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"