Author Topic: Not much time last night.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Not much time last night.
« on: August 01, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »
I didn't have much time to read the forum last night and got halfway through before going to bed. You see, I stop by the hospital last night to get my leg checked out. I hurt it about a week and a half ago when the dog got tangled in a metal table frame by her lead and pulled it into my leg when she went after another dog. It took a good size piece of skin off with one deep spot. Well, I've been concerned that it wasn't heeling right so I decided to go to the Emergency room and have it checked out. Well, when I got there, I signed in and then was called into the office. There, the nurse took down some info as she checked my blood pressure. She freaked when she saw what my blood pressure was. She sent me into a regular exam room instead of a quick one. They made me remove my shoes and socks and shirt and put on a robe. Then another nurse came in and gave me a blood pressure pill and made me lie on the exam table. She monitored my blood pressure for at least two hours. They did a blood test and gave me a tetnus shot. They did x-rays on my leg. Finally, they brought me some papers, intructions on care of my leg and three prescriptions, an antibiotic cream, an oral antibiotic, and blood pressure medication. Then the doctor came in, took a look, asked the nurse about my blood sugar, and added another presription for another oral antibiotic. My leg is heeling properly, my blood sugar was fine, but my blood pressure is high. I feel fine now but I still got to go to the doctor on friday for a follow up. Thank goodness for that insurance that I've never used. ER and meds were only $140.00.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Not much time last night.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
My goodness Scott, it's a good thing you went to the hospital!  Hope that you continue to feel well and heal well.  emm

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 06:41:32 PM »
Mercy Scott, what a guy won't do for a little attention from good looking nurses!! Hope you continue to mend. But maybe do a follow up on the blood pressure thing. They don't call it the silent killer for nothing, you know.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:36:28 PM »
That trip to the ER may have been a blessing in disguise. High BP is nothing to fool with. I know I have it too. Be vigilant about taking the meds. You may have to experiment around a bit till they find the right combo. One thing to try to stay away from is salt. Good Luck!!

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 08:23:56 PM »
Sorry that you had to go Scott but it's a very Good thing you went !

Had you had any symptoms of high blood pressure??????

Take Care of yourself,
Bonnie

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »
Scott, i'm glad you're alright!

but my first advice is don't let your concerns about the blood pressure give you even higher blood pressure.  ;)

working in a hospital, i have to say that nurses get a bit weirded out about high blood pressure and i think their reactions to it often make it worse. doctors on the other hand tend to take it all in stride and just treat it if necessary. it's not such a big deal if you keep it under reasonable control. my grandmother lived to 92 and she had high blood pressure for as long as i remember. it could be that you were just anxious about your wound. so i would continue to moniter it yourself for awhile and see how it goes. taking blood pressure meds when your blood pressure is normal or below can be just as dangerous as high blood pressure. you can get one of the automatic home moniters for around $50 i think.
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:19:24 PM »
I'm glad you're ok too.  Good thing you have med. insurance otherwise an ER visit is $$$$.

My DS hates to go to the doctors office (he's 23 yrs old now & still hates needles).  He gets stressed out and his blood pressure goes through the roof!  First time this happened he was 17 and pretty much had the same experience as you.  He needed shots to go to university.  Made him a nervous wreck.  Doctor gave us all kinds of blood work, prescriptions and a lecture.

Later when he got home and relaxed DH practiced taking his blood pressure and he was fine.  I also got a nurse friend to stop by with her blood pressure band to check him out.  Once again no prob.  Like DH hopefully stress is all you have.  Otherwise make sure you do the right life style change to make yourself better.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:16:30 AM »
Scott, there is a very accurate automatic blood pressure cuff made by Omron that you can buy at Eckerds or other pharmacies. I use it in a noisy enviorment and it works just fine. As they have told you here, just the stress of being in E.R, could have made your B.P. be up. Monitor it at home and see how it goes.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:49:32 PM »
Yes Scott, just visiting the doctor sends peoples blood pressure through the roof...my doc calls it the "white coat symdrome"!   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 05:30:31 PM »
Thanks guys and girls.

I will probably worry about it until tomorrow afternoon when I go back to the doctor. I'm also going to tell him about the problems that I have with my feet. If I climb a ladder, either my left or right foot will get to the point that I can barely walk on it. A few times, I've actually felt something snap before the pain started. I will also have him check my knee that has been giving me some pain for the past week. I'm just falling apart. :'(

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »
Thanks guys and girls.

I will probably worry about it until tomorrow afternoon when I go back to the doctor. I'm also going to tell him about the problems that I have with my feet. If I climb a ladder, either my left or right foot will get to the point that I can barely walk on it. A few times, I've actually felt something snap before the pain started. I will also have him check my knee that has been giving me some pain for the past week. I'm just falling apart. :'(

Scott

"What a drag it is, getting old."  The Rolling Stones from "Mother's Little Helper."   :D

I'm there Dude, I have underwear older than some of my coworkers.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 09:08:25 PM »
Glad to hear your going to do a follow up.  It may be nothing, it may be something.  Hopefully nothing.  Are flat footed, or starting to go flat footed.  That's when all my problems started with my feet, heel spurs.  Then walking on them like that for a long time, made me walk funny and messed up my left knee.  My spurs are under control and after changing to a different shoe insert it helps my feet and knees.  Wouldn't be without them

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 05:30:18 PM »
Well, I saw the doctor today. I do have high blood pressure and he gave me the choice of either doubling the dosage or waiting to see what changes that I make to my diet. He also told me to seriously concider to stop smoking. I'll work on that. It will be tough because my wife also smokes.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"