Author Topic: plant Id.. unknown vine..  (Read 1469 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
plant Id.. unknown vine..
« on: September 16, 2006, 01:14:09 PM »
Last year at a year end auction I bought a ton of stuff mostly without labels.  I have them all hilled in a holding area and now trying to decide where they would be best suited.. most of them I have been able to find on line what they are. this one I cannot.. anyone know the name and where it might like its permanent residedence to be :)

tinkster

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: plant Id.. unknown vine..
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 01:17:02 PM »
Five leaved akebia - Joyce has one.  I've tried many times to root cuttings without success.

It has cool smelling flowers in the early spring.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »
Thanks much!  I see from googling that it is invasive.. that means it should barely grow for me lol.. now where to put it in a rare case that it would try to invade. 

Is there anything I can do to get you a start of it?

tinkster

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »
It hasn't proven to be invasive for a friend who planted it in her yard here, tho I've read that it's trouble in some places.  I love the flowers and the fruits are amazing.  Read somewhere that they are edible, but I don't think I wanna try.

I wish I knew how to get a start off a plant.  I was going to buy some, but all the plants in the nursery were so huge and I would rather not untangle a huge vine . . . . would rather start with a small plant and keep the vines where I want them.  It's ok tho, I have lots of vines in the yard now . . . . stupid passion flower vines are such weeds . . . .

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 01:48:51 PM »
wow.. cant imagine a passion flower being a weed.. only seen pictures of them but they are beautiful.

Just reading that if you let it trail on the ground it will root and send out runners.. so how about I just bury one of the braches lightly on the ground and then hopefully spring it will have a rooted plant for you :)

tinkster

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 01:56:30 PM »
hey teresa.. read this cute story about a chocolate vine.. to cute... aka japanese KADUZ!.  I might just be killing the thing now. but then again its much more attractive then the other vine I am battling from neighboring lot.. hmm.. duel of two vine :)

anyway.. hers the article... http://mycropht.blogspot.com/2006/03/brief-tale-of-my-chocolate-vine.html

tinkster

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:31:40 PM »
That is a cute story . . . . kudzu hunh?  Sure hasn't been that bad for anyone I know who planted it . . . . there is some that the previous neighbor and I planted in the backyard of the house next door 5 or 6 years ago . . . will have to check and see how it's doing.

I'd really love it if you are able to get a runner to root.  And I can dig up and send you some of the thousands of p.incarnata and p.caerulea that are taking over my backyard if you can wait till spring (and remind me) when I have a life again!  There will probably be more there then than there are now and there are enough for everyone on this forum now!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"