Author Topic: patching PVC liner  (Read 690 times)

Offline laurence

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
patching PVC liner
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »
I have to patch a 3" diameter hole in a 10 year old 35 mil PVC liner. I have some 6" EPDM repair tape and solvent. Anyone ever do a repair using these dissimilar materials?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: patching PVC liner
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »
Don't see why it wouldn't work. I recently patched a 2" slot/tear in a liner in a fountain pond. When I went to Cindi's DH, the roofer,  to get the patch stuff, he didn't ask me what weight liner it was. He just handed me the self stick patch strip, a brush to apply the solvent and said to put a lot of pressure on the liner when applying the solvent like I was scratching the liner with the brush loaded with solvent, and a roller/brayer to press on the patch with. If you can get a piece of flat something like plywood under the area to be patched first, it is easier. Makes it nice and sturdy. I also like to patch both sides of the area if I can get at it. That way you're sure it stays patched. Or what I did was apply a small patch, let it dry and then patched over that with a larger patch because I couldn't get at the backside of the liner. It's still holding water.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: patching PVC liner
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:06 AM »
We did a repair (ok, should have said dh did a repair) :) recently. He used pretty much the same materials you stated here. He made ours the 1st day of July. So far, so good. The glue dried really quickly and we filled the pond up past the repair in just a day or 2.
Cath
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"