Author Topic: Liquid barley  (Read 1399 times)

Offline zydia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Liquid barley
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:24:46 AM »
I am interested in knowing if anyone uses liguid barley. I have stayed away from chemicals, but this year the string algea is kicking my butt, and I need a fix.
Zydia

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Liquid barley
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »
I used it last year & loved it , but this year it didn't do a thing for the string algea . So I bought some
Algea Relief "Jungle" . It's safe for fish & plant's , it killed that stuff big time too . Then I had to get into the pond & get all that dead stuff out....and the fun never ends when u have a pond... o(  o(

bonnie

Offline models916

• Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: FYI
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »
Read the fine print on the Algea products. Safe for fish and plants BUT. The product I had says don't get it on your skin, don't let your animals drink from pond. Contains a Chemical know to the State of California to cause cancer. I like the birds and ducks to visit my pond and the ducks swim it it. My dog has on occations swam in my pond. I would not use a product like this. I have had luck with Microbelift PL in heavy concentrations for string algea. All bio, no chemical. Does take a while to work.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 10:08:02 AM »
I've used liquid barley and it is fantastic, but very pricey.  I also use barley straw in the biofalls, because it is free for us from a brother-in-law who is a farmer.  Filled pantyhose and placed them in the bottom of the new lilly pond this year worked pretty good for a while, but before our pond show I did use liquid barley in both ponds.  Remember it is not an instant thing it will take a while to work, but is great and all natural.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
Re: FYI
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:32:45 AM »
Read the fine print on the Algea products. Safe for fish and plants BUT. The product I had says don't get it on your skin, don't let your animals drink from pond. Contains a Chemical know to the State of California to cause cancer. I like the birds and ducks to visit my pond and the ducks swim it it. My dog has on occations swam in my pond. I would not use a product like this. I have had luck with Microbelift PL in heavy concentrations for string algea. All bio, no chemical. Does take a while to work.

One of these day's I'm going to learn to read the label's.....after reading this I went & pored  it down the drain ...I'll have to use something else. Maybe I'll try the Barley again .
bonnie

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:25:06 AM »
I may try this, too.  That's a good idea ...using the panty hose to hold the barley straw O0

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
UM, wouldn't we want to do a controlled destruction of chemicals that are harmful to the environment? Don't ask me what I mean but I do know that Grand Rapids will help us get rid of paint, drain oil, and other dangerous stuff.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 12:46:37 PM »
I may try this, too.  That's a good idea ...using the panty hose to hold the barley straw O0
you have to anchor it down with some rocks, but once down there it kind of looks like a old log if using darker pantyhose lol
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline fairlady

• Members
  • With us since: 07/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 07:33:44 PM »
I put a rock in the leg of black pantyhose, fill with barley straw then add another rock at the end ,tie..then cut the leg off. The rocks help it stay in place.        susie

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:00:43 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide is relatively harmless, except for string algae. If you can pour it directly on the algae it it's most effective that way... Pretty cheap at Costco...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"