Author Topic: Affordable merchant accounts and fax services?  (Read 991 times)

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Affordable merchant accounts and fax services?
« on: August 10, 2007, 03:42:05 PM »
OK, I've got almost everything done for the startup of my interior landscaping business. I still need to find an affordable way to accept credit cards. Merchant accounts cost a fortune, and I'm not sure how many clients I will have or whether they will even want to use credit cards - I expect most of my clients will be small local businesses who will probably pay by check.

Also looking for an online fax service so I don't have to pay for a dedicated phone line and fax machine that I'll probably only use a few times a month. I found one called Packetel for $3.95 a month. Seems like a good price - has anyone used them or found something better?

Thanks very much!

Sheila
www.PerfectPlants.biz
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Affordable merchant accounts and fax services?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »
I always recommend QuickBooks Merchant Services. Their prices are competitive and you can process everything right in QB.  It's a pretty good service.  If you want I can sign you up for it and it will be cheaper (I'm certified with QB so I get the fees waived). 

Pfax is a good service.  It's about $4 a month.  I use efax, it's 16.95 a month, but there is more storage and has a few different features that I find it's worth the price difference.  Plus, I've had the number for so long now I don't want to change it. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 05:01:59 PM »
As a retired banker, when I heard that you might choose between accepting checks only and accepting credit cards, my hair stood on end. I know you have fees for using credit cards but at least you know you'll be getting your money if the card is accepted. With the checks, you don't know that the check isn't good until your work is all done. I don't know if you're able to go back to the jobs where the checks are bad and dig up your plants or not. I would think that you should build a loss factor into your prices somehow. Ask someone who has run a business about how to handle bad checks.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »
It is my understanding that Costco offers low fee merchant accounts for accepting credit cards.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »
Thanks, everyone, I'll be checking out all the options. I'm still fighting to get insurance. Some carriers freak out when you mention you might have to apply pesticides indoors (even though I'll be licensed, and in fact I must have insurance coverage to get the license!). I'm starting to find some companies that understand the plant industry and should be more receptive.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"