Author Topic: Wintering a Pond in Winnipeg  (Read 1455 times)

Offline GarryT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wintering a Pond in Winnipeg
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »
Hello all!
I'm new to this forum & ponding and have some questions regarding winterizing a pond up here in hopefully not too soon to be very cold Winnipeg, Manitoba. We're located about 2 hours north of Grand Forks, North Dakota. Average winter frost penetration is about 6'. My pond is about 27" deep so bringing the goldfish indoors for the winter is, I think, a foregone conclusion. Considering the late start that my hardy lilies had (late June) they have done extremely well this year, continuing to flower even in less than optimum conditions with more shade than sun. My question is what to do with them for the winter? They are quite expensive here ($25 each), I'm greatly envious when I read about the $1.25 PetSmart variety which unfortunately we do not have available to us here. I would like to ensure that the lilies make it through the winter months ahead. I've heard some have had success with just letting them freeze in the pond (easiest), others bring them indoors and keep them in water, some in sand, etc. Any recommendations?

On another note, the pond water temperature has fallen to around 60F with the shorter day light hours and cooler nights. The fish are still very active and have voracious appetites. Should there be a change in food, frequency of feeding, etc. as the temperatures drop? At what temperature do you recommend transferring them indoors?

Great forum!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Wintering a Pond in Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

WINTER!  {nono} Oh no, you said the W word.  Just kidding, welcome to the forum.  Its a bunch of great people or should I say family.  There are several here from Cananda, that I'm sure will steer you in the right direction.  Even Sean the one that runs this forum is from Cananda.  I'm not sure which direction is which up there, but someone will have the answers for you.

Oh, by the way.....do you have any pics?  We love seeing pics of ponds.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 02:11:32 PM »
Hardy lilies are easy as pie to deal with in our cold winters.

In about mid October (or earlier depending on when the pond is going to freeze over where you are) lift all the pots and chop off all growth right down to the top of the pot.  You'll end up with a couple inches, if that, still sticking out.

Next take the whole thing and stick it in a black plastic garbage bag (I use two bags for extra strength) and tie off the top tight.

Take this and, ideally, put it in either a root cellar or spare fridge or, next best) the coldest, darkest corner in the basement.  Do not touch or open until late April or earily May when they are going to go back in the pond.

I have been doing this for a number of years and have never lost a hardy lily through the winter.  I'm in Swift Current Sask so conditions are similar here.

Bart

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »
Thanks Bart!

Sounds easy enough. Our basement is fairly warm during the winter so I was thinking that our insulated garage may be better. It didn't freeze in there at all last year in spite of a long -30C stretch - just from the heat from the cars coming & going.

Here we are in late summer and I can barely wait for next spring to see everything get off to an early start. This pond bug thing is nasty!!

....Garry

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:27:50 PM »
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

WINTER!  {nono} Oh no, you said the W word.  Just kidding, welcome to the forum.  Its a bunch of great people or should I say family.  There are several here from Cananda, that I'm sure will steer you in the right direction.  Even Sean the one that runs this forum is from Cananda.  I'm not sure which direction is which up there, but someone will have the answers for you.

Oh, by the way.....do you have any pics?  We love seeing pics of ponds.

Kim

Thanks for the kind welcome Kim!

Pond pics? You want pond pics? Gee. I might have some here. My pond started out as an excuse to have a babbling brook through the flower bed and I got carried away from there once I started looking at the wealth of information on forums such as this one and caught the pond bug big time. My wife thought I was crazy and the kids - "Stepdad is out digging in the mud - again!". Construction DIY style took the month of June this year accompanied by pretty much daily rain turning our prairie clay soil into gumbo. I can't tell you how many times I pumped out the excavation so I could continue digging and landscaping. But it was worth it in the end! The 20' stream is fed by a 1000 gph pump to a bio filter at the head end, babbling it's way into the small 9' x 5' x 27" deep pond, currently occupied by 2 comet and 2 calico goldfish that have been growing like weeds. And a leopard frog that appears occasionally out of nowhere in the middle of suburbia! I'm constantly amazed at the wildlife that frequents the pond.

Great bunch of people on this forum, I'm going to enjoy this!

....Garry

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 04:09:04 AM »
Absolutely beautiful.  Did your family realize you weren't crazy after they saw the finished product?  Your wife probably loves it now.  You did a fantastic job, thanks for sharing.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline GarryT

• Members
  • Zone 2b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 07:12:49 AM »
Kim,

Yes, the pond is usually the #1 "you have to see this" thing when new visitors arrive - adults & teenagers alike. I've also found it amazing to find out how many other ponders there are out there who haven't come "out of the closet" - especially the guys. Seems that they're not willing to admit that they are avid ponders, I suppose not as macho as tearing up the country side in your 4 wheel drive ATV when it comes to coffee table chat.

....Garry

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 08:19:45 AM »
Welcome Garry!  Fabulous!  Love the stream and pond!  Great job on everything.  Beautiful lily bloom too.  Thanks for sharing pics, eh.  ;)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 09:03:47 AM »
Your pond is very nice! 

The garage is okay, but if there is a chance they will freeze it won't do.  Sounds like you don't have that problem, but keep an eye on it for sure.

Bart

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:46 PM »
Welcome, and what a beautiful pond!! O0

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:23:45 PM »
Beautiful pond and stream Garry!   O0  And as for me...the "W" word would be like heaven to me, I hate this unrelenting heat and humidity.  Yes, I work outside in it but give me a cool breeze that puts tingles in my cheeks any day!   8-)~  Welcome -- you're gonna like it here ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:45:45 PM »
WELCOME Gary ! Your stream & pond are beautiful ! Thank you for shareing them with us !
bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"