Author Topic: ? on dividing water lilies  (Read 694 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
? on dividing water lilies
« on: September 17, 2007, 07:43:38 PM »
I was in the pond this weekend pinching off pads and ferterlizing the water lilies.  Was looking at what lilies that needed to be dividing.  I think it will be easier to divide this fall instead of in the spring.  Would you divide a lily when it is still blooming or wait. And, I think I have read you need to wait until the lily is at least a year old before dividing.  I have a number of lilies that I received late last year but it appears most of them just need to be repotted.  This will be my first time to divide lilies.  I hope to do a number of them this weekend when I have some help.

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
Re: ? on dividing water lilies
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:13:44 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to divide a blooming lily.  It may stop blooming until it is re-established, but the plant will be fine.

As far as dividing a lily under 1 year old...technically, you might be able to, but if the pot isn't large enough to accommodate at least 1 year of growth the pot is too small.  The smaller you keep a lily divided, the fewer flowers you'll get.  I like to use pots large enough for at least 2 years of growth...3 is better.  Anything bigger is nearly impossible to handle.  By year 2 and 3, you'll have bunches of flowers all summer.  When it gets to the point where you can't push the fertilizer tab into the pot, it is time to repot.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:29:55 AM by JoshS »
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: ? on dividing water lilies
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 09:29:28 AM »
I always divide my lilies in the fall. Mine have already stopped blooming for the year with the exception of a couple of die hards.
I prefer to repot in the fall so they have some time to re-establish over the winter and early spring months. They usually take off growing in spring. I've found that if I wait and repot in spring I lose quite a bit of ground and the plant barely gets established during the summer and may or may not bloom.
You really can't go by a 1-year rule for dividing. It depends on the plant. Some lilies grow faster than others and some will easily outgrow a pot in one growing season. Others will be fine for two years in their pot. Personally, I repot everything each fall so they have fresh soil. Smaller plants I don't divide.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"