Author Topic: Pumps With Baskets or Filters - Esther's Question  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pumps With Baskets or Filters - Esther's Question
« on: September 03, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »
Esther, I'm starting a new thread, in case people don't see your question in my old thread about pump height....

Esther asked if those of us who have pumps on the bottom, if our pumps have some kind of pre-filter, to keep muck from being sucked into the pump.

Mine does.  It comes with both a plastic basket and a sort of foam sponge.  The pond store says to throw the foam thing away, as it clogs and bogs down the pump.

While the basket keeps out most of the stuff, little bits of mostly-disolved gooey gunk may accumulate within the basket.  Checking it every six months is sufficient for my needs - not much falls into my pond; the bottom is amazingly clean.  (Perhaps the fish are snacking??) 

The pump will, over time, get some minor debris sucked into it.  So, when I clean the basket, I also unscrew the housing and hose out the inside, as well as the hoses, and check the magnet thingie that twirls around. 

A sales rep told me that not many people are taught to do this, but that it will GREATLY prolong the life of their pump.  At least once a year.

Also, don't know if this is true or not, but a mfgr's sales rep told me, so I guess it is true... The pump has a sort of grinding mechanism, so if little bitty things do get inside it, it acts like a kind of garbage disposal.  I don't see any thing inside that would grind up leaves, etc., but there sure are lots of little bitty thingies (fish poopers) that get pumped into my bog filter, and don't seem to hurt the pump on their way through.

Don't know what brand it is (too lazy to run down and check the box in the garage), but I have both a 900gph and a 700gph running in my 550 gallon pond.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 02:30:13 PM by Julles »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pumps With Baskets or Filters - Esther's Question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 02:21:24 PM »
I have a new pump that comes with a foam sponge pre filter which I do not like.  It gets full of the pond junk and clogs up the intake.  I'm worried that it may damage the pump.  I need to clean it daily, not what I was looking for.  The pump intake is a whole 6" off the bottom of the pond.  Should I worry about keeping the foam sponge off the intake?  There is a small basket with 1/4" slots on the intake.  Otherwise it does a fantastic job of keeping the water clean.

My old pump didn't have a prefilter and it worked for 3+ years before slowing down.  Once in a while it had roots or debris I had to clean off it but it kept the water very clean.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 02:58:01 PM »
Both of my pumps have foam prefilters...I am in the same boat...I have to take them off and clean them almost every day.  I was thinking about creating a fine mesh cage around the whole pump body and removing the prefilter foam completely.  it would create greater surface area and wouldn't get gunky so quickly, I would hope.  I have seen baskets in the pond catalogs...does anyone know how fine the mesh needs to be? 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
I'm thinking of putting my pump minus the foam sponge in an aquatics plant basket on top of the fish's underwater cabana (upside down laundry basket).  It should work fine.  I just hate going outside in this stinking heat!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:26:52 PM »
Oh, I wasn't picturing the right type of pump. Mine is a waterfall submersible Tsurumi 3200. It is made to handle some solids. It kinda looks like a sump pump. But I still have the filter before the pump in my DIY filter/skimmer. I'd rather clean the filter than have all that crud going into the Skippy. It still gets plenty. The filter gets cleaned about once a week now. Earlier in the summer, it might be much oftener.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 12:21:33 AM »
I threw my prefilters away with in a week of my first pond.  Didn't help anything but getting clogged.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Mucky_Waters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 12:49:24 AM »
This is what I use.
The filter pads in it get cleaned about once a month, except in the winter when it to cold to play in the water.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 04:37:15 AM »
Here's mine minus the quilt batting type filter media that sits in front of that frame that's before the pump. I now have a row of Black Knight brushes in front of the media to trap the larger crud pieces. I love the brushes. They are much easier to clean than the QB type. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"