Author Topic: The pondlet did well this year . . . .  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The pondlet did well this year . . . .
« on: September 11, 2006, 03:09:07 PM »
In case anyone was thinking of trying their own next year.  The beta did very well in here, but the fantails got eaten by raccoons.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: The pondlet did well this year . . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
WOW...that is beautiful, looks like a pic out of a magazine! 8) O0 (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 05:37:15 PM »
What an assortment of plants, I have GOT to do that next year!  You guys are gonna have to tell me what to put in mine tho' okay?  :D

LuAnn
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:21:16 PM »
That's beautiful Teresa! How big was your container? The plants are gorgeous. I wish now that I had made one for my betta. I am inspired for next year :)

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 06:30:11 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, but it wasn't me, it was my darling daughter.  She's 14 and this was not only her idea, she paid for the supplies with her babysitting moneys.  I helped her pick plants that would do well in the water and the semi-shade that we have to deal with in our yard.  I also gave her the lily start . . . . graziella from Pa Nancy.   Most of the plants are planted in one of those kidney shaped basket planters that had been in the garage for about 10 years - in rocks and gravel without dirt.  The lily is in a 4" pot of dirt and got fertilized about twice this summer, but it's a trooper, even forgiving being uprooted about 5 times by racoons.  The small and large sensitive plant came from Enzo in trade for something I sent him - cannot remember what, but something he wanted that I had.  I actually sent it to him without expecting anything in return, but he insisted on sending something and this was an option . . . . . DD loved it totally, so thank you Enzo!!!

The beta is still happy and there are a couple of baby shubs that we moved from the 'lily' pond to this tub just in case that are now almost 2" long - those will go to the big pond when it gets colder. 

This did so well that her little sister wants to do one next year too.  They won't be matching, but they'll balance the patio!!!

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:26:50 PM »
Teresa, Simply beautiful. Should be in BHG. Thanks for posting gives me some ideas. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 07:35:48 PM »
Teresa,
That is soooooooooo cooooooooooooooool 8) 8) 8)

your daughter did a wonderful job on it.
( I wonder if something like that would work over the winter here?)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Daisy

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 05:16:33 AM »
That is so neat! I love the plants that are in there. Your daughter should be very proud of herself...awesome job.  O0  @O@

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 05:39:58 AM »
Tell your daughter she did a great job.  I want one!!!!!!!!!!!! O0

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »
Thumbs up to your daughter  O0.  She did a great job, and its picture perfect.   @O@

Kimberly

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 06:19:22 PM »
Wow Teresa, that's very pretty. Your daughter did well!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline croft

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 04:16:28 PM »
Your daughter did a terrific job in creating her container garden O0. How did she keep the water in it from getting too warm for the fish - that would be the problem on my deck.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 06:15:36 PM »
I'm just curious, aren't betas "fighting fish"? Aren't they supposed to be alone?
  I wonder if it was the racoons, or the Beta that did in the other fish?
  I'm a newbie here. so take my response with a grain of salt.

Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 06:16:18 PM »
Croft . . . . our backyard gets a lot of shade.  That's the sunniest spot in the yard, and it really only gets a couple of hours in the morning and then again in the late afternoon.  The water did get hot because there wasn't a lot in there.  The beta didn't seem to mind and the plants loved it.  The fantails either got eaten by the coons or came in side and there were a couple of itty bitty shubs that have grown now to maybe an inch long.

Nancy - the betas are the fighting fish, but they only fight with each other.  You can safely keep them with other kinds of fish. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 07:06:35 PM »
She did a great job, looks wonderful. I feel her pain on the raccoons, they've hit all of my ponds this summer even the big one with the fence ON.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline jatfla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 08:08:47 PM »
Well, I'm glad to hear that about the betas being able to be with other types of fish.  I definitely thought they had to be  alone.  How cool can the water be for them?  Could they handle a southern pond?

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »
Yes that pond planter is beautiful! Your daughter has artistic talent. @O@

I can't believe it looks like that after raccoons have meddled with it.  :o   They have been totally trashing a little 4"x16" "pond" my daughter put some mosquito fish in. The algae chunks I put in seem to keep them safe but last visit they got the tiny tadpoles. They also made off with two big goldies from my pond, even with electric fence wires around it.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 05:48:32 AM »
rocmon most of the plants in the pondlet are planted in a kidney shaped basket that's filled with mexican river rock (inch to inch and a half size).  It's too heavy for them to move or turn over.  They did tear the lily out of it's pot several times and they took two other lilies completely out of the pondlet.  I found what was left of nymphea pymaea in the middle of the yard, but all I found of helvola was part of the pot. 

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 05:58:35 AM »
Your daughter is very talented it looks great O0
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »
Croft . . . . our backyard gets a lot of shade.  That's the sunniest spot in the yard, and it really only gets a couple of hours in the morning and then again in the late afternoon.  The water did get hot because there wasn't a lot in there.  The beta didn't seem to mind and the plants loved it.  The fantails either got eaten by the coons or came in side and there were a couple of itty bitty shubs that have grown now to maybe an inch long.

Nancy - the betas are the fighting fish, but they only fight with each other.  You can safely keep them with other kinds of fish. 
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"