Author Topic: Strike 1....  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Strike 1....
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:51:08 PM »
Had some Bodine's sourdough last week and man0man was that good stuff.  So I thought I would try making some sourdough.  First I bought the boxed sourdough stuff for our bread maker and although it was tasty, it was just bread.  Not nearly sourdough-like...  So I decided to make some sourdough from scratch and the fetching one told me I need a starter.  A starter what? I thought.  She then explained about making a sourdough starter with it catching yeast from the air and over the next week or so I would hopefully have my starter.............  So I found instructions for making a starter and mixed up the flour and water and let it sit....  After about four or five days my slightly bubbly mixture went flat.  No bubbles....nothing....  So thinking it died I tossed it out and looked for more starter recipes.

I found two more that called for using Rye flour for the start.  Once recipe called for making the flour fresh, so the fetching one went to the health store and bought Rye grain (berries).  So I tossed some of the Rye grain into the mill and made the flour.  Now I've got two different batches of starter going......  I trust these won't be strikes 2 & 3...... to be continued
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Strike 1....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:25:06 PM »
 {:-P;; Somebody has time on their hands.... :D

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »
Oh phooey. I wonder if starter can be mailed. I know my cousin uses starter she has kept going for 5 years. She even had to have it "babysat" when they went on vacation so it wouldn't die. I've never tried it myself. Hope your experiment works this time.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:50:10 PM »
Ahh Yes.....  The life of a retiree.  This late summer heat has had me doing some fun indoor things.... I made dill pickles a few weeks ago and they are still curing....although I did cheat and open one jar....pretty tasty....  I canned some fantastic tasting salsa two weeks ago.  Very yummy stuff!  I made some hummus a few nights ago and took it to a pot luck.... and they wouldn't let me take the leftover hummus home.....  Oh and I forgot that I made a bunch of chicken pot pies that are out in the freezer.  They came out real good.  Much better than store-bought.  Hmmmmm, maybe I'll pop some in the oven for dinner tomorrow night....

The fetching Mrs. Mikey subscribes to Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country magazines and they have some great recipes in there.  

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »
Yes Esther....I'm knocking on wood here.....

Offline kaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 08:27:39 AM »
You sound delightfully domesticated Mikey  :).

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »
It only took 30+ years to domesticate me.... :D

One of my starters is fermenting like crazy.  I gave it the last feeding today so hopefully it will soon be ready for bread. 

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »
Hee, Hee, doesn't that seem strange that something made from a "fermented" food would taste good?  :o

Oops, what am I saying, isn't wine fermented?  {:-P;;

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 06:56:08 PM »
Yes wine is fermented------------AND TASTES HORRIBLE!!!  Ask Mikey if he knows that is my opinion. I don't remember right now but I think he was at a wine tasting at the Biltmore in North Carolina when I was there. They kept giving me different types and saying, "Now here's one you'll like." And each one was worse than the last.  :thumbdown:

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 11:38:30 PM »
We missed the wine tasting Esther but neither the fetching Mrs. Mikey or I like dry wines.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 03:54:45 AM »
Hmm, well I was going to try to make sourdough bread in my bread machine one day, but now I'm not so sure. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
I don't like any fermented stuff I guess. I don't even like the smell of any of it. Well not counting dill pickles made in a crock. But I like sourdough bread. Some day if my life every slows down, I might try to make some starter for bread.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 08:43:11 PM »
For years and years my Mom made "friendship bread" out of starter, and I thought it was gross.

Now, at 41 years old, I learn that fermented foods have been a staple of human civilization for centuries. I highly recommend "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig:

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735/ref=pd_bbs_
sr_1/102-7840813-2904931?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190085997&sr=8-1

I am afraid to make my own fermented foods, but I know that they are healthy.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
Mike, it's too bad we didn't know each other when I lived in Cypress.  I bake lots of breads and had a GREAT sourdough starter - it made a very good sour bread with a slightly sweet crust.  The doggone starter died on the drive here when we moved.  The one I have now isn't nearly as good, and I can't for the life of me find the recipe for the old one.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 08:59:17 PM »
I now have three different starters going with 3 different recipes.   I need to keep better notes though.  Tonight I was scratching my head wondering if I had fed one earlier today..... ::)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »
Yummy! I like sourdough bread but have never tried to make it. I can't seem to make homemade bread successfully. My poor MIL tried to teach me and no matter how careful I am, I always kill it or something. ::) I end up with a brick instead of bread. ::)
 {:-P;;
My mother used to make Dilly Bread and I loved it. I have her recipe but I can never get it to come out.  ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »
Lynda,
I've heard that the reason San Francisco is so well known for their sourdough bread is there is something in the air there that just makes for a better flavored starter.  I am not surprised that you haven't been able to duplicate the taste in a different part of the country.  I wonder if you could get another start from Cypress (hint hint, Mikey) and then continue that same flavor you're used to where you live now.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline tracey_shafer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 07:47:46 AM »
I use to bake all our bread from scratch Mikey & had a sourdough starter I started from potato water (just the water from boiling taters). Made all kinds of foods with it, then the DH brought home a loaf of store brought bread.  >:(- :blowup: &-) :boxing:I spend hours cooking & kneading to make you home cooked from scratched heathly foods and you bring home Wonder Bread {nono}I don't do it anymore. And the jerk wonders why he has stomach problems all the time >:(-

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Wonder Bread
The fetching Mrs. Mikey refers to Wonder bread as "Wonder Why" (wonder why they call it bread?) ;D

I've heard that the reason San Francisco is so well known for their sourdough bread is there is something in the air there that just makes for a better flavored starter.
I'm afraid about the only yeast I'm capturing from the air here is the smog yeast.....

I've reached the cheating point by now.  I've ordered two starters from a sourdough website.  One starter dough they call their "Original San Francisco" ....(yeah, right...) and their other starter they call "South African".  I believe they ship it dry and I'll have to get it going.....  If I get the South African one going I'll have to test it out on MikeW and let him have the final word as to its success.....

Offline tracey_shafer

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
"Wonder why they call it bread" ;Dthat is a good discripion of it. It has no taste and I do not eat it. lol

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 02:16:24 PM »
We laugh at Wonder bread and even accuse it of being so bad that even mold won't eat it... lol

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 04:06:06 PM »
I just saw a documetry about the innovation of sliced bread including Wonder bread.
Apparnatly peanut butter was not a huge seller til the sliced bread became common.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »
I was at Disneyland recently and one of the eateries had peanut butter & jelly sandwiches selling for just under $7:00!  I just about choked on my overpriced pretzel when I saw that....

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »
I googled sourdough bread starter and read several recipes. Most of them called for yeast and I don't understand what the diference is when you start out with yeast. One was just flour and water. It sounded like a lot of work.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2007, 08:45:10 PM »
Flavor Esther.  It's all about the sour flavor and I'm told you don't get it with packaged yeasts unless you do what some commercial bread makers do when they add artificial stuff to sour the bread.  Everything I have read indicates adding packaged yeast to a starter you are trying to culture naturally will destroy the natural culture.  I've got one culture that has been doing for about a week.  I'm supposed to continue feeding it daily for another week to allow it to mature......  The starters I ordered on-line are supposed to be shipped this coming Monday....

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »
We have liftoff!

After several failures I officially have a yeast infection @O@ ...... the good kind of yeast infection that is..... ;D  The lowest mark on the jar is it's level mark immediately after feeding.  I then continued making smaller marks as it expanded.  It tripled it's size in about 2-3 hours.  It rose another 1/4" after this photo was taken before it started going down again.  I've already mixed it into the dough for my first try at sourdough.  It's rising now and in a few hours I will cut it in half for two loaves and then put it in the fridge overnight to bake tomorrow.....  Wish me luck....

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 02:39:31 PM »
I baked it first thing this morning.  What a wonderful smell.  Here's the result:

It's great tasting bread, especially the crust, but it's still not sourdough  :(  Someone on a cooking forum suggested the starter needs to age for another week or two with daily feedings... So I will try again in another week or so...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 05:16:53 PM »
Sourdough of Cypress has a nice ring to it  :D

When you do something you do it with gusto, that's for sure!  Great job experimenting.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2007, 08:07:16 PM »
Can you do this?  The Boudin Sourdough Bakery restaurant in SF demonstrate the making of all shapes bread.  It looks so easy...for them :D

;D ;D ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"